Hi, I feel like I’m losing sensation in my lower leg and foot. I can walk properly because of the numbness and weakness. I went to neurologist, and he diagnosed me with peroneal nerve dysfunction. Does it mean I damaged my nerve?

Yes, you probably damaged your peroneal nerve by injury to the knee, fracture of the fibula or habitual leg crossing. It can be damaged also by diabetic neuropathy or polyarteritis nodosa. Peroneal nerve is a branching of the sciatic nerve, which is responsible to sensation and movement of the lower leg. This is related to a single nerve, so it’s classed as mononeuropathy. Treatment of peroneal nerve dysfunction is usually about maximizing mobility and independence, and that’s why a physical therapy is important. But if a doctor thinks it’s necessary, a surgery can be done too. Pain can be controlled by over-the-counter or prescription analgesics. There are some other medicines that can be used for stabbing pains, like gabapentin or carbamazepine.