I have a bunion on my big toe and it is causing a deformity, so I decided to put myself through a bunion surgery. However, I heard that this procedure can cause nerve damage, so I am now afraid to give it a shot. Are there any other risks of the procedure? Thx

Well, all the risks depend on your specific medical condition. Yes, it is true that there is a risk of nerve damage, as well as recurrence, continuing pain, infection, stiffness, numbness, etc. About all of this you need to talk to your physician prior to the procedure! And, the one who does not risk, does not gain!!!

Sure, and I believe that the risk of the nerve damage is most common in the patients. Also, the pain, numbness, swelling, painful little toe are very common things. I had this surgery and my recovery process was really fine, with a small amount of the pain, but I was following all the instructions that doctor told me, Also, I never got any damages. But my friend did. That is how I know that nerve damage is common.  He felt really horrible burning in his foot and he went to see his doctor immediately. This nerve repaired by itself. That is also possible. 

Take my word for it, don't do it. Deal with what you have.
Having this surgery was the worse decision I had ever made.
The surgery went bad the 1st time =Jan 06. Saw new Doc in March06 been seeing 2nd Doc for over 1 yr now. Just had 2nd surgery 3 wks ago to try and repair damage from first surgery. It doesn't get any better.

Look up RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy or Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome. That is nerve damage - read up on it.
This is what I got and it can occure with any surgery or trama to the body.

Take my word for it, if you can stand the look of what you have now and stop wearing high heel shoes, don't do it.

Ande

I heard a few horror stories myself, so I postponed having my PAINFUL bunions removed. I finally gave in and found a Podiatrist that I loved. She did a really good job, and my recovery after surgery went really well too! I had the Bunionectomy Nov.20, '07, and it's now Mar.3, '08, and my foot looks and feels so much better. Sure surgery is not a walk in the park, but, for me, a month of limping around in a surgical boot was worth the comfort I have now and hope to enjoy for a long time. BTW- I was worried about the pain, so my Dr. gave me a perscription for 30/10 mg Vicodin. I never took a whole one at one time, and only needed 1 a day for a week.

I also had a bunionectomy in Nov. 07. I accidentally separated the area causing the reset bone to twist and raise. I have had trouble since then. We elected to let it heal in hopes that it would be ok, but now here it is April 08, I have continuous pain, the numbness and pain in the bottom of my foot is still there (though the bunion surgery would help with the nerve problem) and I now have moderate to severe pain in the surgical area. Feels as though a heavy objected was dropped on my toe!! The bone is finally healing and closing in from the separation, but it is raised a bit and my big toe is turning inward and is raised instead of being even with my other toes. My doctor is sending me to someone for "chronic pain" because he doesn't see anything that "should" be causing the pain I am having. I've gone through all of this and have no improvement in the pain... just a smaller foot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To Successful bunionectomy--

If I may ask, who was your podiatrist? Also, how did u go about finding him/her? Know of any in the Los Angeles area? I am trying to find a good doc and am not sure of who I should go to. Thanks!!

I had a horrifying experience with bunion surgery. I went to a sadist who operated on 5 toes rather than one. I could not sue him because I signed the consent form. I honestly thought he had listed all my toes because of some insurance thing. I never dreamed he would operate on all my toes without discussing it with me in advance.

I am in constant pain. It truly ruined my life.

I have done a lot of research on bunion surgery since then. At least 30% of these surgeries are deemed failures, and people regret having them done.

Don't go to a podiatrist. They are not doctors. Only an orthopedic surgeon has enough training to do these surgeries. I don't understand how podiatrists are allowed to operate on people. They are not medical doctors. Many doctors told me most podiatrists are people who were not smart enough to make it through medical school, and were in the bottom of the class.

Don't listen to people who tell you not to go through with the surgery because they had a bad experience.

The only way for you to make an educated decision is to find a good surgeon. Those who had negative experiences with "sadistic" doctors did not do the research necessary to find a doctor right for them.

And for the record, seeing a podiatrist for a bunion surgery is FINE as long as they are considered a podiatric surgeon and it is a common part of their practice. They are absolutely medical doctors. In fact, my surgeon was a podiatric surgeon and double board certified in Foot and Reconstructive Rearfoot and Ankle Surgery and by American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicine.

Look for someone who is experience with the surgery and is board certified. My surgeon did bunionectomies every Tuesday at the local hospital. A bunionectomy can be performed by both a podiatric surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon.

I too had a bunionectomy & Hammertoe surgery--------I lost some mobility in my big toe, have numbness in the right side of my foot, pain in areas where it didn't exist previously, & the bones have shifted again ---I lost most of my accumulated sick time, & it has affected my sleep as it is often difficult to find a position where my foot feels comfortable. I am now seeing another doctor who is trying to manage my pain. My advice to anyone who is thinking of foot surgery is-------don't! I was more mobile before the surgery & feel as though i have aged considerably since the surgery in 2006.

In 2006 I had bunionectomy & hammertoe surgery. I now have pain in areas of my foot where it never existed before, I have lost some mobility in my big toe, a good portion of the right side of my foot is numb, my bones have shifted already & my big toe is turning inward again, & I have difficulty finding a comfortable position for my foot in bed, so it is affecting my sleep. I am now going to a Doctor who is trying to manage my pain. My advice to anyone who is thinking of foot surgery is-------don't! I was much more mobile before.

I had major pain for over a year where my toe was locking up on me and masking the symptoms of gout. I had an x-ray done and found fluid in the big toe, and a buinion, as well as a hammer toe and in the small toe too much bone. I had the surgery May 2, 2008. I am suffering nerve pain in the area of the big toe. I have to wear slippers, cannot wear heels not even low heels, it is painful to bend the toe and put pressure on it. I use ce several times a week sometimes twice a day, I have Flexor pain patches that do help but the FDA has not approved it for my condition, I wish that they would because it helps. I have had some trouble sleeping due to getting the foot comfortable but that goes with the territory. I have pain after walking for long periods of time as well. This surgery can affect your social life but I have had women to stop me and tell me it will take about a year, one lady has not healed after 5 years and orthotics are not guaranteed to work. My doctor stated nerve pain occurs in 1 in 10,000 patients after surgery. I have had nerve blocks and that does not help either. Good Luck!

It seems to me that you would have had severe pain before opting for surgery, right? I have terrible pain, like someone hit my foot with a hammer, so I can't imagine NOT having something done.

It seems like I see from time to time people commenting on how they think they can't sue because they signed a form prior to surgery acknowledging what the complications could be. Of course, they hope you think you can't sue but it is common practice for those types of forms to be presented and signed prior to surgical procedures--but they in no way take away someone's right to sue. People who sign those forms do in fact sue and win damages all the time.

Just to share my experience. I am sure there are some success stories with this procedure but I would never have this surgery again. I have had to have six additional surgeries and four bone grafts to fix a Dr's "mess up" I would suggest to you - not to see a podiatrist. Go to an orthopedic since they are Bone specialists. Good luck to you.