Six weeks ago I had a TKR and in spite of the whole thing being much more painful than I had anticipated it has recovered well with good ROM and stability. However, I cannot get on with my life as I am currently having to take morphine for the pain in my foot. From immediately post surgery I had the numbness in two toes, the ball of the heel and in other areas on the foot. These places on the foot feel numb to the touch but are hyper sensitive to stand on and have sharp shooting pains unless I can control it by the pain meds. Even the bottom of the swimming pool which feels smooth and shiny to the other foot, feels like a pile of rocks under my foot - even with no weight on it! The surgeon says I am expecting too much too soon - though he cannot tell me what caused the problem or give me any advice as to how to ease the symptoms..he says time will tell (no clue though as to how much time and what the possible outcome might be!)

Can anyone else identify and give me any advice or help. PLEASE!!!
Elaine

I had both tkr in 2 yrs. Same problem,irritating pain in all toes and heel of right foot I know it has to do with the knee replacement .Been 2 yrs and still got it .Drs keep fluffin me off .HELP!!!! One dr. says it,ll subside, one ignores me and one says it is probly nueropathy but not any thing done about it. Whats the matter with drs.

>;) yeah same i had it done about 3 years ago and my leg feels like im carrying a weight on my leg from just above the knee down to my foot which is numb and has pins and needles in it and my doctor says it will go away bt when

Do a search in Google for RSD (reflex sympathy dystrophy). I am sure that is what is going on. I am suffering from the same thing. Good Luck.

Hi all those who have had TKR.
My surgery was July 2010, after two previous surgeries on the same knee. Two months after the TKR, I had to have the scar tissue "broken", which then irritated the IT band. After multiple trips to emergency room, drainage of fluid in knee, and cortisone, I am still in pain. Knee is still swollen, and cannot descend stairs w/ shooting pain to foot and under toes. The surgeon is "dumbfounded"...dahhh...and suggests another opinion (wait a minute, it's not even a year after surgery) and that's all you can say???

Needless to say, I am furious and have to apply prescription pain pads, and take Hydrocodone...which does not work!

I have had endless physical therapy sessions, do the exercises, use ice, etc....but still a lot of pain!!! Is this tendonitis? Will this ever go away??? Anyone have the answer??

Carole from Chicago

I had RKTR in December 2010 and LKTR in April 2011. No problems with right knee but left knee hurts all the time and I have numbness all the way down the outside of my left leg. Ortho Dr. sent me to Pain Management Group and did Lumbar Epideral Injection, 1st of set of 3. Did 1st injection yesterday and feel no difference...Will give them another shot June 15th

ldsarver wrote:

cpangercic wrote:

Hi all those who have had TKR.

Carole from Chicago

I had RTKR in December 2010 and all went well..In April 2011, I had LTKR and have had numbness down the outside of left leg and pain in lower knee...Orthopedic Dr. tried draining it, cortizone shot, sending in to make sure there was no infection..After Xray and MRI on lower back, he Sent me to Pain Specialist who advised 3 lumbar epidural injections, Had 1st on yesterday, June 8th, and feel no difference. Scheduled for June 15th for 2nd..If that does no good, what's next? Can't keep on like it is

O my, I had total knee replace me, one mo. ago and I have the same problem....my Doc. said he never seen this before, I think he is lying..I went to a nerve Doc. and he wants to do surgery he said my nerves below my knee, the surgery is much like the surgery they do Carpal tunnel surgery in the hand.

I am sick to think I would have to go under the knife agai,

Did your Doc. give you any idea what may have caused the numbness?

Fred
2months ago had TKR and from day one from knee to toe felt numb, like I had a cast on it. Some numbness has gone away but lower leg, ankle and top of foot are some numb but have nerve twitching and shooting pain in foot and up and down lower leg. Saw Dr. today and acts like he has no idea what is the problem. Told him I did not have this before the knee rep. but do know. It drives me crazy. Did this go away for others?

Had a YKR two weeks ago. Severe pain. Dr or rather the PA (I never got to see the doc except in OR) says I am "unusual" and he has not seen this before. I think they think I'm some sort of nut job or hypochrondriac. He blames it on the pain meds. I have stopped although am on horrific pain most of the time, night is worst. I am only 48 and cannot see myself living like this for much longer. The pain is excruciating. I can't be the only one. I am doing what they tell me do. Help!

What are you doing about this? My husband is 54 and had total knee replacement in June 2011. He was doing great until Sept. of 2011 and became total unable to move his body and cry out in pain all over his body. To make a long story short we been to hell and back with dr's. He is only getting worse!!! When I ask about RSD the dr assure me that I don't know what I am talking about, but you can go down the list and check each one off.

Hi I'm new here,but I have the same problem 3years ago it started for me first they scoped my knee,it got worse.Then a tkr on right knee then lots of therapy then manipulation,and 9months later back in or for revision,had to scrape scar tissue and replace the knee cap so theever thatching all over again and 10 months later back for another revision because I produce such thick scar tissue it loosened up the knee so they replaced everything scrapped out scar tissue and shaved down my knee to make more room.Now the scar tissue has trapped the nerve so I'm taking nurontin for nerve pain600mg. And if it doesn't work by 4weeks I'm going in to have the nerve released.My doc. Did say it was like carpal tunnel in the leg 1day in hospital but if the knee pain is still there I'm going back in to have it scrapped...again.If I knew it would be like this I never would have done it I'm worse. Then I was before all this started.well I hope we ll can find  someone or something that will help us

Update.3 injections didnt work. Went to another Orthopedic, he said I had compressed nerve in knee..Went in 12/18/13 for decompression of nerve..Got a scar longer than the TKR and none the better. Maybe even more pain on outside of knee and still numbness. Also feels like knee is constantly swollen

I had tkr on right knee its been almost 5 years from my first time then had revision done 4 years ago on same knee, the numbness and tingling are driving me nuts and continue to get worse.. went to doctor several times they have checked my back thinking that is a problem as well can't take much more if you have suggestions on how you have gotten better please let me know i have had shots given meds for neuropothy etc... sometimes i cant even feel my foot to drive...

It's been 5 months since my tkr... pain has been gradually been reducing, and I am only on 1 oxy-Codone for sleeping.  I only use Oxy because the dull ache is difficult to ignore when trying to sleep.  I'm told it may take a year to completely go away.  I'm walking good now with a cane (graduated from a walker about a week ago).  I still have to be careful about twisting the joint... can cause awesome pain if I twist it even slightly.

As far as numbness,  I only suffer from numbness on the outside of my tkr knee; not my feet or lower leg.

Sounds like you might have some nerve damage.