Hi, I’ve been having some strange feelings in my legs lately, like tingling, numbness and pain. A doctor told me that he’s going to do some more tests, but at this time he thinks it could be neuropathy. What is this disorder? How is it treated?

Your symptoms could be signs of peripheral neuropathy, but nothing is sure before you get the results. This is a disorder of peripheral nerves, followed by symptoms such as numbness, electric pain and burning sensation. Peripheral nerve cells have three main parts, and any of them can be affected. However, most often it is axon that is damaged. It transmits signals from nerve cell to nerve cell. Neuropathy has to be treated, because the untreated peripheral neuropathy could lead to permanent loss of nerve function, muscle atrophy and tissue damage. The first thing you would have to do is find a good pain reliever, because neuropathy can be very painful. Even the strong opioid analgesics can sometimes just partly relieve the pain. Most common drugs used for neuropathy are antidepressants, such as tricyclics and anticonvulsants like gabapentin and carbamazepine.