Hi i had a lumbar puncture done almost 2 months ago at which time the dr. took like 3 tries to get it right...after which 3 days later i was back in hosptial for a blood patch...(they got that right the 1st try)....

Now almost 2 months later and when i bend over forward my back still hurts in that area...and when i am laying/sitting on an incline in bed I get what feels like "chills" sparactically in my buttocks and back of my upper legs? but when i walk/jog...etc...nothing im fine?

Could this be nerve damage? i am fairly concerned here

Yes. Nerve root injury, infections, low back pain, and spinal hematomas are complications of lumbar puncture. See a doctor for your concern.

I also had a lumbar puncture about 3 months ago and I am still experiencing problems with my lower back. I did not, however, have to go back for a patch.

Several questions for you. Did you have to lay for a long period of time while the lumbar puncture was being done? How long?
Were you tensed? Did you have to lay flat on your back after the procedure? For how long?

I had to be on the table, flat on my stomach, for 1 1/2 hrs because they couldn't get the fluid to drain. They did finally allow me to slowly turn on my side. My entire body was quivering because I was in the one position too long.
Afterwards I was told I had to be flat on my back for 16 hrs. That was another severe blow to my back.

When I called the doctors office to inquire about the back pain he thought it was because I'd put so much strain on my back muscles during the procedure because I was not experiencing cerebal headaches. True or false I still have issues with my back muscles after I sit, stand, lay or bend for any period of time.

In your case, since you did have to have a patch, I would most definitely call the doctor's office and report it to them.
Your issue could be the same as mine but you could also have an infection from the needle, patch or still be leaking fluid. I sure wouldn't take any chances if I were you. Did you have the cerebal headaches after your LP? Are you still experiencing them or headaches of any kind?

Thanks for your reply...

No i didnt experience anything like you did.....she had me on me side in fetal position she said i was tensed and it kept bending the needle??? final she got it right and then that had me lay on my back I was on med's so i dont remember much i know i laid there and slept till the next day when i went home.

I had my first headache a24 hours later I went in for the caffine drip...but the next day it came back w/ a vengence ...then I had an Anesthiologist (spelling) do the patch no problems she got it in first try... headache went away i was great...

my back was sore but had been since the first Lumbar punt. they said that was normal...but now...here i am 2 months later...it still hurts when i bend all the way forward..and after i jog...other than that its fine...and the "chills" feeling i experience in my buttocks and back of my legs its wierd if i am sitting up on the couch i dont have it....only when i sit up like 1/2 reclined in bed...and its very sparatic...not all the time...its not painfull but annoying my main concern is can i become paralyzed from this????

nnj925- This sounds pretty strange to me. I seriously think you need to consult your doctor. Maybe he will order a MRI or something and make sure everything is okay. If he doesn't have an answer I would consult with someone that does!

It sounds like my experience was so much easier than yours.
I did not have any medication prior to LP. Of course I'd heard horror stories so I was terrified. They numbed my back where they were going to insert the needle and put me under x-ray so they would get the correct place the first time. Even though he had to go in twice it still wasn't that terrible. They used the smallest size tube (needle) in the kit. The doctor told me the bigger the tube the more chance of it needing patched and having cerebal headaches.

I know how scary it is after this procedure and you still have pain. You worry about all of the things it could do to you. It could be your muscles or nerves flared up from the procedure but I think it would be a wise move to contact your doctor. If nothing else it will put your mind at ease.
I wish you well.

Thanks they numbed the area before the LP for me too..they offered me something b/c i was so nervous...and since i am not use to taking any kind of meds it really had a big effect on me...i think it was Adavan? Something like that...other than that...it all seemed pretty straight forward. And I read getting a spinal headache is very very common...so that didnt really concern me...

I have had spinal menigitis in the past, and my doctors thought that I had in again. The doctor (who was med school student, by the way) put the needle in my back at least four times. I had my legs bent and was holding them still, but something went wrong before the doctor really started to do anything. Or so he says. It's been 4 years, and I suffer from severe lower back pain and my right leg hurts all the time. It's hard to walk.
I had already been in the hospital for 3 weeks when this happened, and I sent another 2 weeks in the hospital after the LP. I've been to pain management, but no one seems to think anything is wrong. My nerves are all messed up. >:( >;)

I had dreadful headaches and the doctor diagnosed cryptococal meningitis after a lumber puncture. since then I have this severe pain down my right leg. Its worse at night. I have been on pain killers since and I am scared this will have other side effects healthwise.

I am very health conscious and would like to do earobics as well as taking 30 minutes walks for light workouts. My concern is would it worsen the pain or this means I should stop being active? o.O

Three months ago i had a LP, the doctor was unable to get any fluid and was trying for 1hour and 1/2, altogether i had 48 holes even though some holes were used more then once, the doctor made me lay on my back for 4 hours although discharged me within an hour after the LP.
since then i have had severe pains in my back, even if i stand for 5 minutes i feel like my legs are going to give way if i dont sit down right away.
i find the pain isnt as bad if i lay flat on my back.
some days the pain is worse then others and im confused at why im in so much pain.

I am an X-ray tech and see LP's all the time. Every person is different and no Dr. can tell you exactly how it will go. If your fat the Dr. will most likely grab a 4.5" or 6" 20 gauge needle and may have to take some cross table xrays to tell how far they need to go. Otherwise they will use a 3" 20 gauge needle and most likely have an inch or so out of your back. Nerve roots are were they are and no Dr. can be sure they will or will not hit them, its just luck, really. They enter down around L3,L4,L5 to be below the spinal cord and make it as safe as possible. If your dehydrated you are starting with 2 strikes already. Hydration is huge in making things go well and making the possible headache less. The usual amount at the hospital were I work is 3-4cc's in 4 tubes. We try to get 12cc's but sometimes get much less. Once in a while we will also do a opening pressure by hookiing up a graduated tube and measuring the pressure in centimeters above the spine. All in all, most go off without a hitch and the few that don't write it up all over the net.

Dave

Hi I'm Gary.

I also had a Lumbar Puncture after a Small operation that i Had..

I had a lumbar puncture because I was very drowsy and sleepy after my op i only had a very small dose while my operation had take place

My Op was 13/12/10
LP was on 14/12/10

Todays date 06/01/11

My Back is a tad sore still hurts when i move i suspect I have nerve damage or some form of damage to that area!??

Im off to see the doctor shortly so they can review my notes from the hospital and going to bring up this problem with my back now it shouldn't be hurting anymore should it? Find it difficult to get comfy when trying to sleep.. And get double vision! :-S

over 3 months ago i was in ER with horrible back and neck pain and had to have 3 lumbar punctures that night... 2 days later was back in the ER in horrible pain again and had a blood patch done and was told i would be fine... I am not fine, i have headaches daily and my back and neck hurt constantly.. I don't know what to do, anyone been through this? :-(

In response to your post. 2 months ago I had a LP and was told to just lay on my back for 1 hr & then I could proceed with my normal activities. Well, for 2 days I did just that everything from the beauty salon to shopping. The pain began and it was so bad I felt like I was dying. My dr. informed me that they should have told me to lay on my back for 2 days. They did not send me home with Post Op info. Now 2 months later I find out I have Root Nerve damage & I have to go through physical therapy. Sometimes the pain is so bad It's hard to walk and I am in tears. I had this procedure due to a Psuedotumor. Excessive water around my brain.

I was 14 when I had my spinal tap. First of all, the numbing meds didnt do any good. They gave me an injection to numb me. For some reason I have to have more than other people to numb me. Just to numb my mouth for a root canal took 10 injections. Anyways they missed the fluid the first time. The second time they hit nerves going to my legs. Both my legs and feet started hurting very bad and then they both jumped upwards. Very scary. I went to the ER because my back was hurting severly. it felt like someone was pushing on my back very hard. I had a fever of 103. They did an LP to test for meningitis. For the LP they had me sit on the edge of the bed and lean forward. They didnt hit the nerve because I moved. I did not move. There was a nurse holding me down and I had the fear they were going to hit my spinal cord...lol. Well for a few weeks after the LP I had pain. Okay pretty normal. But I also had nerve malfunctions. my legs would go numb then hurt bad. My back hurt terribly. Well I am 19 years old now. I STILL have pain. For the past 5 years I have been experiencing weakness. Sometimes my legs will go weak (one at a time. Never both at the same time.) and just wont hold me up. When I sit down (normally in a chair or anywhere else) My lower back goes numb. I get random pain in my legs. And, coincidentally, I was diagnosed in 2010 with Gastroenteritis in an ER room. They told me my nerves in my gut were more sensitive. Still today, every day, I have some incident with my legs. Sometimes its minor and sometimes its worse. I have muscle spasms all over my back constantly. There's a spot on my shoulder blade that is numb all the time. I have random sharp pains in my chest. All of these problems appeared right after this LP. Someone told me nerves can take a year or two to heal, but it has been over 5 years...no change. I am going to a chiropractor this week to see what can be done for my back. It has been pretty awful these past five years. Sometimes it feels like someone is taking a taser to my shoulder and giving me a shock. Every doctor I tell seems to shrug it off as nothing. Nobody can put a name to it. When I went to that ER room for my LP 5 years ago, they told us I didnt have meningitis. I had some virus in my back they couldnt name? Maybe this virus caused my problems? Or is it really the LP that messed me up?