I am 7 weeks post laminectomy (no fusion) and I am in pretty bad shape. Prior to laminectomy I had numbness and pressure in abdomen, legs, and specifically my right leg and toes. My right leg was worse with the numbness. Right after the surgery my pain was great. I actually don't have much pain now but my main problem is that I have an extremely weak, and numb right leg. I have to use a cane now. I cannot work either. My balance is totally off some days and other days it is pretty good. Lately my legs are "burning" and tingling, which someone told me means that the nerves may be "waking up". Is this true. The NS did a follow up MRI and that was negative. They are now doing an EMG because my right leg and foot become ICE COLD if I am upright. At night in bed it gets warm again. Nobody knows why I am not progressing as I should since it was not an extremely aggressive laminectomy due to no fusion. Does anybody have any ideas. I hope the theory about the nerve waking up is correct because it is hard to live like this. I just need some hope to go on. I was an extremely active person and massage therapist and as of now, I am officially disabled, although I don't want to think of myself as such. Please help someone with some hope!

I'm about 7 weeks after similar surgery but with fusion l4-L5). I, too am getting frustrated.  Seems like 3 steps forward & 2 backward.  i have no back pain, but have a hard time walking.  I'm using a walker on "bad" days & a cane on "good" days.  My main problem is that my legs will grow stiff & lock up.  I walk stiff legged when that happens , & wonder if I'll ever get a normal gait againThe my surgeon told me about 3 weeks ago that it may take time for those nerves to get back to normal after the trauma of surgery.  I only have 2 one inch incisions on my back.  and now my knees are hurting, also.  I'm not sure if it is because of the stiff legs or now a new problem has developed.  Anyone else have similar issues

I had the exact nerve pain and numbness that you described after a hip replacement surgery on the right side.  After a year of intense PT, Acupuncture and massage, it slowly got better.  It was still there a little when I had a Laminectory on 6/04/13.  Post laminectomy healing indicates that I have it back just as intense as I did after hip replacement surgery in the right thigh.  It makes me wonder if it might be the same nerve involved.  (So much for my knowledge of anatomy.)  I find walking and moist heat helps.  I remain positive that the nerve pain and discomfort will slowly go away, but I expect it to take several months if it follows my previous surgical experience.  I am walking comfortably, but still taking minimal pain medicine and muscle relaxant pills, but it hasn't even been a week since my sugery.  Good Luck....Liz

I have artery disease and carotid artery disease and need a bypass in left leg and constantly every 6 months having both sides of neck ultra sound and have severe spinal stenosis. I am told I need surgery in two weeks see the neurosurgeon , You may need more than a MRI is your leg is cold you could possibly have a blood clot somewhere causing this, Maybe need a CTA or MRA to make your free of blood clots that is the test they gave me for that reason .

The reason I tell you about maybe getting a MRA or CTA is because I was loosing the feeling in my feet and toes , getting extreme Charlie horse's in both feet at the same time . Had stenting done but I need more and what happens is when circulation is blocked this is the result I hope its not the case for you for I don't even know which way to turn I just was told I need back surgery and seeing that I have artery disease I am frightened to death of having spine surgery and developing a clot seeing my left leg is 97% blocked . I have an appt. with vascular surgeon to see if spine surgery is too severe for me ........

Don't worry, most nerves heal on their own in a year. Relax and exercise and contact me if you have questions. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Dmorvant are you a surgeon?

I had a laminectomy 4 weeks ago and this week nerves started firing in my legs below the knees. Its not painful but strange. This week I feel like I am going backwards. I was getting around with out my walker, but now have to use again and walking bent over like before surgery. This is very frustrating and feeling discouraged.

How are you now .

I am 5 weeks post laminectomy and I have numbness that I did not have pre-op in one leg, upper thigh. I was told by PT that the nerve can "freeze" and it may take time for it to wake up. I walk with a kind of limp as my left foot will not work. It's as if the strength is gone. The back pain is gone, now I'm just dealing with these strange problem. Hopeful that time will help.

yes very similar problem, particular in left left and knee.

Finding this website validated my similar situation post lamenectomy.  I had my surgery 3 weeks ago after 20 years of increasing back pain.  I simply woke up one day with bone crushing pain, left leg down to the toe.  I went to my pain Dr who prescribed Percocet which didn't help. I could not stand, walk and barely made the commode. Finally my husband called the ambulance -- by that time I was screaming in pain..fast forward to spine surgeon who does the lamenectomy.  When I saw him 11 days later he told me I could "take walks and go to the mall". What??? I have a brace, walker & cane.  I can't start P T for 3 weeks.  I feel weak, exhausted, and can't walk 10 steps without stopping.  I now have pain in the right side and flashes of nerve pain now back in my left side.  It's almost phantom pain but it's there.  I notice when I walk, I list to the right side.  I won't go to a store briefly unless they have carts.  All in all, I feel like I'm doing something wrong.  Is this my "new normal"?  Am I healing too slow?  I try to tackle a project, like light dusting and I have to sit down in a sweat.  I can't imagine taking a walk.   i am really starting to get worried.

Hello
Just wondering how you are doing. My husband had laminitis year at L3 L4 8 weeks ago but still so much pain in leg area and is very frustrated trying to figure out why. The PT is working on the muscle but he sees little change. He can move better than the few days prior to surgery but pain is pretty constant. Wondering if it went away for you?