In 9/07 I was diagnosed with right foot stress fracture and had to wear a Pacesetter II boot that goes to the knee. Almost immediately, left hip pain started. Wore boot 4-5 weeks and although the right foot felt great, left hip hurt too much. In Feb 08, podiatrist said foot fracture completely healed. Fast forward to April 2008 and my left hip still hurts. Anyone ever had a reaction from wearing one of these boots?

Docs first tought it was bursitis and gave me steriod shot, didn't help. Then xray showed no arthiritis and good left hip/socket joint. Now, they sent me to acupuncture, two sessions down and still super duper left hip pain. Also had two physical therapy sessions with ultrasounds and told to massage I-band. Both PT and self massage of I-band hurt like heck, icing didn't help either.

I'm going to ask my doc if I should be going to chiropractor. The web investigation I have done on CAM boots states that many people come out of the boots with one leg longer than the other. Anyone ever have something like this? The treatment info would be appreciated. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you. Dee

Obviously, you can't go back in time and prevent this problem, but for the benefit of others...

I've used this type of boot off and on for years. What the doctors never seem to mention but what they should be telling you is that you MUST wear a tall shoe on the foot that doesn't have the boot. The hip pain is caused by walking so much with two different length legs. I always wear vary tall athletic shoes (like the retro Sauconys) with a heel lift. Just try to make the shoe on the non boot foot the same height as the boot.

If your hip is still hurting you probably still need to be going to the physical therapist. They should be giving you strengthening exercises along with stretches.

As far as the I-band hurting, it's supposed to! You have to keep working at it until it doesn't. Just one of those things that sucks to make better. Check out using a large foam roller for doing floor exercises. It still hurts, but I find it to be an easier way to work this area.

Something you might consider is how much time you spend sitting. An already irritated hip and tight i-band can get worse or not get better if you spend a lot of time sitting (especially at the computer). Exercise and taking frequent short breaks from sitting are both key to getting better.

Best of luck!

Hello everyone. This discussion is rather interesting to me because one of my friends has gone through the same issue and he was recently diagnosed with hip bursitis but I don't think that it's that disease because I have also read about it and I am not sure. Could it be something that spreads through the family tree? I am scared for him because he is really in a bad shape now. I barely made him to go and see someone about his hip and it turned out to be too late. But I am optimistic because he is being treated at the moment.

Same problem...only worse! Had a right ankle evulsion fracture. Ortho didn't explain much and sent me on my way w this boot. I didn't like it, very heavy, very hot but I wanted it to heal so I wore it exactly as prescribed. Now, two months later I have horrible bursitis in my hip and knee joint effusion on the opposite side- as you mention. Now I could possibly be having to have a surgery to repair my knee all bc ortho didn't want to explain things to me. Sigh....

Quincy560,

Where do you stand with your injury and did the chiropractor help?

dmn

Hope you are feeling better. Is there an update on this? I have a client who wore a boot for 6 weeks. That was a year ago. Now she has progressive anterior thigh pain and trouble standing from sitting position. Hip flexor/psoas massage brought temporary relief (only one day). Anything new? Thanks.

yes I am having heaps of trouble for the same reason. went to the chiropractor he said it will take a year for my hip to come right. my poor dog loves a long walk. i enjoy my walks with my collie i tried but after the walk pain in the hip drive me crazy. this chiropracter does NOT and VOT on me not the cracking. does help. i rest it and pain goes . i use aromatherapy oils . like peppermint clove and lavender thyme and wintergreen oils rub it straight it often. get a good person that can massaage.and german chamomile is good its an antiflammatory. wish you luck ...rest the hip Jan Kennedy

YES!!! I have/had a fracture in my right foot. Fracture boot for over 2 months!!! My left hip hurts so very bad. My right knee and hip too just a bit, but OH MY LEFT HIP!! And the weird thing is that it comes and goes. Its a dull pai most of the time, but at times there is unbearable shooting pain. Some days are worse that others. :( 

I am a 65 year old woman in excellent health, and not overweight. I’m a regular roller skater and had skated 6 months before surgery. I had bunion surgery and correction for a hammertoe, all on my right foot on Nov. 27, 2013 (the day before Thanksgiving). I was put into the big black boot, weighing 2.2 lbs during the month long recovery. Since I had had previous back surgery 9 years ago on a ruptured disc I expressed concern about the boot. The podiatrist expressed no concern at all and said I had no options, and blew me off. I brought this up on at least two occasions in his office, but he still wasn’t concerned. I had bunion surgery 30 years ago and was placed in a lightweight, very user-friendly Reese shoe…so why the heavy boot now??

I got out of the boot on Dec. 28, 2013 and my back blew out on Dec. 30, 2013. Two herniated discs (L3/L4 and L4/L5). Very, very painful and scary, I couldn’t move! I had surgery on Jan. 28, 2014 to repair herniation and after excruciating pain and physical therapy I still have numbness in my left leg and foot along with drop foot. I have fallen 3 times and finally got an AFO (brace) to keep me from falling. All of these problems are because of wearing the heavy boot which caused me to walk uneven and throwing my back out of alignment, hence rupturing the discs.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes. I had multiple ankle injuries on both feet when I didn't have insurance except Healthy San Francisco which was a joke. I was in a CAM boot for months on both feet at various times. Now that I have insurance, my feet are close to healing but I have a lot of pain in my knees and hips of both legs. I used to think that pain was from the injuries but the other day one foot started acting up so I put the boot on again for 8 days then started having a lot more pain in my other knee so now I'm convinced this is from wearing the boot. MY PT told me to do exercises to correct it. He had done some adjustments for my knee. I've also found using a wobble board to be the best physical therapy for all of these injuries. I mail ordered it. I'm using a "fitter first" wobble board. It wasn't too expensive. I'm also supposed to jog again but my calves are incredibly tight and start hurting after jogging for about 10 minutes to the point where I can't jog anymore. I used to be a slow but avid jogger running up to 5 miles a day and an avid Bikram yoga enthusiast. I'm now approaching 50 years old and have a very hard time getting up the energy to get past this horrid rut. Bikram yoga is also really good for these injuries and lots of other things too.

The hip and back pain can usually be eliminated by wearing an Evenup on the other shoe to level out your hips.  The Evenup is not well advertised but you can find it on the web at alot of sites.

2 years ago I was having issues with my left ankle. They spent 8 months trying to figure out what was wrong with it. They continued playing around with putting me in walking boots or on crutches, cortizone shots with none had worked. They then found out my Achilles was too short and had to have surgery to lengthen it. After the surgery I was in a not and on crushes for 4 weeks then I was walking with the can boot on for 8 weeks. After I was cleared to going sports again 3 games into my basketball season I tore the Achillies that had just been repaired. I was on crutches for 3 months along with the boot and was walking on it with boot on for about another 6 months. Once I was fully healed and out of physical therapy I began noticing a lot of knee and hip pain about 3 month after the issues stayed curring and wound up haveinformation to have athriscopic surgery on both knees. They found an ACL tear and a minuscule tear along with tracking problems in the knee caps. Each surgery required no crutches or any brace, recovery time was only 4 weeks per knee. Both my ankles an knees are fully healed and i am back in sports but my hips are continuing to cause me great disconfort and the problem is left unresolved. This is why this topic has peaked my intrest for I too am wondering if the cam boot has been the cause of my hip pain. My ankle and knee

The heavy and uneven cam boot causes stress to knees, hips and back as the hips shift to accommodate the boot, creating more serious problems. I can't believe the cam boot is still prescribed...it should be banned and a much lighter, level boot to replace it. Sorry you are having so many unnecessary issues.

Try Rolfing ! That's what I'm doing and I have the exact same experiences you had with the boot !

Yes, I am going through that now. I had broken my left foot and had to wear a cam boot for 7 1/2 months because I was experiencing pain in the back of my foot and ankle. Now I am experiencing hip and lower back pains from wearing the boot so long.
I am now under doctors care and in physical therapy so hopefully this will help my pains.