For the past 10 or so years I have experienced a very sudden, intense nerve pain that "pulses" down the front of my left thigh. This comes without any warning whatsoever, it usually is very sudden and quick, but so intensely painful that it can drop me to the floor in agony. Sometimes the pain is very fleeting and disipates before causing too much discomfort; however, when it is bad, it is very bad. There are times when this will happen for 7 to 10 days and then it disappears sometimes for several months.

I also have experienced for the last 4 years a burning sensation. It started in my left foot a couple of months after I had foot surgery. The burning sensation then moved to my ankle and began migrating to all parts of my body - specifically on the left side. I have felt this burning feeling in my thigh, buttocks, arms, hands and even my face. Initially I was treated for Regional Sympathetic Disorder (RSD) and was receiving shots in my spine that contained a numbing solution; however, when I complained to the pain management doctor that the burning sensation was jumping all over different parts of my body, I was advised to go back to see my neurologist.

After seeing at least three neuorologists over the past four years I am no closer to finding any answers to these problems. I've had MRI's and CAT-scans on my spine, brain, neck, hip and thigh with everything showing normal. My last resort was to start taking a medication called Elavil (generic is amytriptoline). From what I understand this medication is similar in its use as Lyrica is. While the medication has sigificantly helped with the burning sensation (I very rarely get these symptons anymore); I am not so sure that it has helped with the sharp nerve pain down my thigh. Since it was the norm for me to go sometimes up to a year or more without having the pain, it is difficult to tell whether the medication was helping. Very recently I went through an extremely painful bout of these sharp pains, which lasted for about 10 days. They gradually tapered off and now I am just getting the small fleeting "pulses" every day.

I have recently discussed this with my most recent neurologist and he is at a loss for answers to this problem. He has suggested that I try Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic; however, I am not in a position financially, nor can I take the time off from my work to go this route. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who has experienced what I'm going through.

FYI - I am extremely active, workout at least 4 - 5 times per week, involved in theatre (acting and singing) and work a full time office job. I am 49 years old and in excellent physical shape for my age; so this has really caused me distress and depression because the pain is so debillitating.

Hi Vicki- have u ever been tested for lyme disease? I have bizarre burning sensations and it turned out to be lyme. Best of luck to you-

Hi my name is Tony and right now I'm writing because going to the doctor doen't give me any hope. About a month ago I started to experience sudden nerve pains, it feels like if some one was stabbing me from the inside and sometimes it feels like if it runs thru my leg like a lightning does thru the sky. It's in the same place all the time, on my right side of my right leg. I;m worried because one day I was on the freeway and couldn't use the brake or the accelerator and I;ve been thinking that I could cause some kind of accident. Thank God there wasn't much traffic that day, but now it is affecting my sleep and my wife is being tormented by me because with these sudden pains I find myself screaming at night and moving around the bed. I do not what else to do. My doctor does'nt seem to know the answer to this.

When I learned that my hip flexors were extremely tight, I thought there may be a connection. I find that regular yoga and weight training to open hips and balance spine make a huge difference. The problem goes away until I miss regular training. I too had extensive medical testing that was all negative. Will now look into physical therapy for an expert opinion.

I dealt with this pain for a long time.   I woke up during the night dreaming that Indians were skalping the skin off of my upper right thigh.   Called my neurologist the next morning - she had me come right in.   I was diagnosed with meralgia parasthetica - which basically means "burning in the thigh".  However, I was refusing to take all the complicated pain meds (like Topamax (or "Dopamax") or Neurotin.   She finally convinced me to start a regimen of Lyrica and Cymbalta (the lowest dosages).    It has been three years.   I only take the Lyrica when it is really bad (about once a month).   The Cymbalta, which is an antidepressant, has really helped managed the pain.   

I would love to get off the Cymbalta.    I do not like the "numb" feeling I have about of lot of things.   It really does not make you too emotional about anything - this can be good and bad.  :-)

When I try to back off the Cymbalta, the pain rears it's ugly head and reminds me that it is still ever-present.

Prior to all this pain, I had a minor abdominal surgery.   Apparently the surgeon used my hip as leverage for his tools when using the laproscope (?).   They feel like the subcutaneous nerve was severly damaged during this.  

So, read about meraliga parasthetica.   There are many ways you can get this - pregnancy, heavy belly, injury to the hip (or anywhere that nerve runs).

Good luck with your pain.    I understand.   I know the frustration of going to many doctors and you think they think you are crazy.  

I have exactly the same pains down both thighs. only down the front and only when I am standing. Took an MRI of the spine, came out normal. Were you able to find out a remedy?

I just started getting this shooting nerve like pain in my upper right leg about a week ago. It scares the heck out of me (I am not one who can take any pain). I came on here to find out what it could be but now i am so perplexed. the pain lasts for about a few seconds...its not severe yet. I hope it never gets severe or I am driving when it happens. I rub the spot but it doesn't help. Any solutions, like stretching or rubbing alcohol on it????

Rubbing alcohol is toxic, even when used on the skin. It is only good to kill bacteria around an infected area or when needles are used for shots. Large amounts can make you sick. I also have pain on the top of my right thigh near my hip. I am going for an EMG to see if it is my Obturator nerve.   I have been going to my Chiropractor to make sure there aren't any disc's being pinched. My hip was tilted, so he adjusted it. It helped until I turned and moved it out again. Now, I have to wait it out until Monday since it is a weekend. At least all my searching and reading about it, has helped me pin point what it might be. 

Hi Tony.. Im having the same pain that you describe, from one to four times every day for a month already, any advice of what can be?

Omg I have been experiencing the exact same thing for approximately the last 10 years as well, only it's in my right thigh. I recently asked a cardiologist about it, & he said it was likely something Dr's like to refer to as a "twinge," meaning there is no real cause for it. But the pain is so intense when it comes that I too can b brought to my knees and often "yelp" out in pain. I can go an entire year without experiencing it, & then b tormented by it for days at a time. It's always in the exact same area and feels like a jolt of electricity shooting through my upper leg. Today has been particularly bad and I find it so hard to believe there isn't a reason behind it's occurrence. It's incredibly embarrassing when I'm at work and coworkers hear me yelling out and gasping in pain every other five minutes. I haven't been able to correlate the onset of the pain with any particular set of triggers; it seems completely random as to when it chooses to appear. Does anyone have any ideas??

I I i

That is completely what I am experiencing in the right thigh! Did you ever try a chiropractor? Very encumbering to be suddenly grabbing your leg and crying out randomly all through the day in agony. And then it subsides. Weird!

My pain started yesterday just after the shooting back pain. Back pain gone now but I cannot sleep with this pain in my leg. Gonna call my chiropractor soon.

OMG YES or they think you just want pain medicine, I have gone cold turkey which also makes you sick just to prove that I am not an attic, I just want relief from this pain. I have had back surgery, injections and now on the highest dose of nerve medicine so I been told but they will not increase my pain med which I was the one to decrease both the strength and the amount but is still looked at as an attic if I even suggest that my doctor increase it. All I want is some relief from the right side of my lower back, hip, knee and leg pains, now I am feeling it on my left too, my pain specialist seems to think it is from the arthritis in my lower back and I am wondering why when I got back surgery why didn't the surgeon take care of that too since he had my back exposed ?,, It makes you wonder, but it shows you that we are God's piece of art and no man can duplicate it. God Bless all of you that is reading this because I really do not believe that there is a cure on earth for our suffering.

I've had this same exact pain for a month after I got stuck in the trees sking. I started yoga and daily stretches and it helps for the most part. If I stop either, the pain come back.