During mini maze procedure, phrenic nerve was cut. Tests showed paralyzed diaphragm was crushing right atrium. Plication resolved that, but breathing still difficult. No history of smoking. Heart appears healthy, no clogged arteries. No swelling in ankles. Use BiPap to lay down. Not overweight. Exercised daily prior to mini maze. Mini maze done Dec 3, 2007. Plication at Cleveland Clinic Sept 24, 08. Right atrium problem diagnosed at Huntsville AL Heart Center, end of July 08 following ECHO, Transesophogeal Exam, right heart catheter, oxygen deficiency stress test. Local (Morgantown WV) pulmonologists have no suggestions. Have never seen such debility from lost phrenic nerve. Help!!!!

Hey David,
If you still visit this site was wondering what if any did you do about your phrenic nerve damage. Have a damaged phrenic nerve here. Thinking about surgery. Thanks Nick

Dave Samuel wrote:

Dave if you visit this site contact me. I had surgery to repair similar problem. life quality today is great. Surgery 18 months ago. There is hope!

I had a mini maze on Sept 1, 2011.  The surgeon claims he stayed far away from the phrenic nerve and it wasn't damaged.  However, my right lung is higher than my left after surgery.  I had pleural effusions, pericardial effusion, fractured rib, and developed a cough which tore my stitches where the piece of rib was removed resulting in a hernia.  I had to go back into the hospital to drain fluid from my chest, for I developed a pneumothorax.  Researching online, I read if your diaphragm is paralyzed and elevated, it can cause a cough and hernia.  The surgeon didn't say anything about my diaphragm, but would the right lung becoming higher than the left mean the same thing.  I wondered if it was the same, for I developed a very bad cough in the hospital which went on for about 6 weeks.  I am constantly out of breath. When I call the surgeon's office the secretary says my case is closed and they won't give me an appointment to see the surgeon.  What makes me angry is I asked the surgeon twice what the risks were and all he said was bleeding and phrenic nerve damage.  He stated none of the above and I don't remember even signing a consent to operate.   Any advice?

Lola,

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't hely you with any legal issues. However Ican tell you that it is very important to ahve your Phernic nerve and diaphragm evaluated. Have you had a sniff test or a pulmonary fuction test? These test are important to determine if your diapphragm is completely paralyzed and if there is any signal left in the nerve that it is tyring to send to the diaphragm. 

The diaphragm muscle deterorates very quickly. Time is important. I suggest you call the Dr. Kaufman and talk to him about our problem. I did and it has changed my life. Dr Kaufman has performed over 40 of these proceedures. 

If you want more information let me know. I have written often on this site so read my other postings. Again if you need more information let me know.

Ross 

Ross, I also have phrenic nerve damage with a paralyzed diaphram, shortness of breath, and low blood oxygen. What kind of surgery did you have?

I had a nerve transplanted from the back of my leg. It was attached to the phrenic nerve and the diaphragm. The surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours and recovery varies. The nerve grows back slowly. My 1st sign of this procedure working took 11 months. I have written a lot about it on this sight. I will be happy to answer all of our questions. My suggestion is to call Dr. Kaufman's office or visit his web site.He is truly a pioneer in this field. Ross

ross ford wrote:

Ross,
I had a sniff test which showed the lower third of my right lung has no breath sounds - paralyzed diaphragm. I am not as SIB as when I posted last. I am wondering where Dr. Kaufman practices and how do you check for a low blood oxygen level. My cardio said no one does phrenic nerve repair in our area which is Cleveland.

I really understand what you guys are going through ..as i have been through hell since i had my left phrenic nerve cut during bypass surgery...sleeping and breathing has become an effort in staying sane ..what bothers me is the little effort put towards getting this fixed or repaired as such..considering the dramatic impact it has on ones quality of life ..reducing my functuality as a person to less than 30%...i had plication surgery to help ..secure the runaway diaphram and organs....my pain levels range from 4to 9 out of 10.at given times...glad to hear about the repair procedures ..will investigate this ...thank you ..danny

Ross,
Thanks for all your post. They have helped a lot. Do you know any other doctors that do this phrenic nerve or how do i search the web to find one? I failed every test in the books and just went to Dr. Kaufman's Dr. Brown for the nerve testing in NJ. (have a damaged phrenic nerve) but Dr. Kaufman does not want to see me because I don't know how I got this way one year ago. He only deals with people that have had trauma. I had a very bad cold that they thought was phenomonia and I think I coughed it to paralysis. I asked Heather (Dr. Kaufman's assistant) if I should go out and play on the highway to get traumatized. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

I JUST SPENT A HOUR WRINTING A POST LOST I SOME HOW
I HAVE A VERY RARE MUSCLER DISORDR CMT 105000 PEOPLE IN THE US HAVE IT
IT DISTRORYS THE PERITIAL NEREVS
CALL DR. KAUFFMAN MONDAY WATING TO HERE BACK
THANK GOD I LIVE 3 HOURS FROM HIM
THANK YOU
COULD YOU E-MAIL YOU PHONE NUMBER

That's what happened to me. I was breathing out, passed gas, and then i had no sensation in my left lung. I am really exercising hard and eating right now. Did you get better?

i had a mini maze procedure and i have periods of shortness of breath also along with annoying belching as well. i have had many tests done with my lungs. all is ok. have had scopes done on my stomach and all is ok. so the only conclusion i can come to that makes sense is a damaged vagus nerve from the mini maze procedure. i guess it was a trade off. my afib was fixed but something else was messed up.

Hi there, I have CMT with diaphragm involvement. Did you wind up getting help? Thanks, staugie

Hi, I have CMT and am starting to have diaphragm issues. May I ask what surgery helped you?