I have been in constant pain since having my gall bladder removed on August 28, 2008. It is a sharp, burning fire in my right side, radiating from just under my ribs. I also have nerve damage on the skin around the incisions (feels like glass cutting into me especially when anything even slightly brushes against my scars or the skins around them). I woke up from surgery in worse pain than when I went under for the surgery. 8-|

The two specialist (Neurologist & Pain Management) I've seen since have said this appears to be a classic case of nerve damage. I have had one nerve block that gave some relief for a couple of days, and have tried Lyrica (which I couldn't tolerate) and then Cymbalta, which was giving me some horrible side effects at 30 mg a day. I am now trying a low dose of Topamax. I don't feel like I am being helped, just being used as a drug tester; and I don't do well with pharmaceuticals.

I have been taking Meprozine 50/25 mg (night) and Zanaflex 12 mg morning and night just to get through each day. I also use topical Lidocaine ointment on the area around the surgery site. The worst pain is inside my body just under my right ribs. It goes down my abdomen a few inches, and almost to the center of my sternum, and around my right side. Soon I don't think the doctors will prescribe the pain meds for fear of addiction.

I am searching for some treatment or program that can relieve this constant pain that has taken my life away. My day consists of lying in bed, on pillows, trying to get into the least painful position I can. I also can't take deep breaths or stretch without intensifying the pain. It is a chore to shower or even go to the bathroom.

I believe this is a bigger problem than the medical profession is willing to admit. I still cannot eat much and have lost over 20 pounds since the surgery. Please post if you have had this problem after gallbladder surgery. Thank you.

i'm 4 weeks post op and getting exact same pains just walking around the house is difficult and i have 3 small children to look after evryone i speak to thinks i'm being a wimp and cant tolerate pain very well but i have had 3 labours all natural an 1 lasted 45 hours with no pain relief !! bu this pain is just constant i would rather give birth naturally to sextuplets then have this !!

I had a laproscopic cholecysectomy in the UK in June 2008. I have no pain around the scars but I am getting a pain/discomfort under my right ribs. I was told by the surgeon that this was just a bit of fibrosis where one of the instruments was inserted and it is irritating the nerve. I was told it would take up to a year to go away but its been nearly eight months and still bothering me and not getting any better. Its not as bad as the pain pre-op so that's a bonus but I wasn't thinking I would have any problems after. I'll see how the next few months go....

I hope this helps..

:'(
I too had a Gall Bladder removal in 2007, and experienced the same pains you are describing.
Firstly, "DONT LET ANYBODY TELL YOU IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD!"
This is REAL pain, and the longer the doctors sit on their thumbs telling you that it will resolve itself, or that you have PCS, or lets try this medication or that one, the harder it will be to treat.
Tell your physicians to refer you to a Pain Center right away.
Trained pain physicians know to treat the pain first and find the causes later.
This is because the longer that you are in pain, your brain chemistry begins to change, and cannot remember how to create its own endorphins. Once this happens, you may never be able to live pain free. I learned my lesson the hard way. I did not get referred to a pain specialist for close to a year. I am starting my third year of being on Morphine every day, I have had several spinal nerve blocks, but again, they started them too late. You should have a nerve block done ASAP because this may reset your pain cycle if caught in time.
Don't worry about what is WRONG with you just yet--worry about treating the pain. Don't be ashamed or worry about Narcotics either. Pain specialists know that if you are truly in pain, the medication will work the way it is supposed to, and do its job relieving the pain. People in real pain do not get "High" from painkillers. But, your body will become addicted after long term use. That is just something you deal with when they finally take you off of them. You will go through withdrawals, but they have medications to help with the symptoms.
I got help too late. I am completely disabled and am facing having a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my spine. This would most likely not have happened if I had been sent to a Pain Clinic in a timely manner.
Also, research CRPS and RSD. It may not sound like you have it because it usually happens in the arms and legs, but it does happen in the trunk, and that is what I have finally been diagnosed with.
MOST OF ALL, BE PROACTIVE! Do the research---your Doctors are NOT going home at night thinking of your case and getting online or calling other Physicians. Get all your records, ask questions, if you feel your Physician is not doing his or her job--Fire them and find someone who you feel is really interested in helping you--these things may save your life!
Sorry to be so stringent, but If I can help one person NOT go through what I am, It will be worth it.
BE YOUR OWN ADVOCATE!

I myself had gall bladder surgery in April 2008 and my life has been reduced to laying on the sofa in excruciating pain or throwing up. Some days were intolerable. The doctors did many tests, performed several surgeries, including a laparotomy which consists of cutting you from below the breast bone to the navel and the pain was still there. I recently went to a Board Certified gastro doctor and the pain is being caused from nerve damage from gall bladder removal. I was prescribed nuerontin and within 24 hours I was feeling much relief from the excruciating pain. Best news this is not lifelong medication.

God, I hate that some one feels the same as me. My Gall Bladder was removed in January of this year. And everything you say is so true . I feel exactly the same. I am on the Fentyln patch. And without it it I fear I will not be able to work. I have been seeking for relief and have found none. I had an injection last wed , right in the right rib area. God, it made it worse. I went and bought a rib belt , i've found that I get a.0001% ,as long as i don't move that area .I can feel exactly where it is, it feels like the rib cartledge was cut and now rubs a nerve. I'm so tired of going to doctors on top of the expense and knowing the results will be the same. I can not live like this . I don't know where to turn.The best relief I get it lying down . I even at work go to the ladies lounge and try to sleep/lay down for 30 minuets ,so I can make it though the day. I find it is worse when I sit all day. When I get home, I stay active, and it isn't as bad as during the day.... I'm just wanding now that I have read your remarks, if there isn't some legal action for this. I'm not looking for money, just something to help me feel the way I did ,normal. God , we take feeling good for grantite .

O my gosh, my 16 y/o daughter had her gallbladder removed first week in July. She is still in constant pain, has nausea, and throws up no matter what she eats or drinks. She has had a ct scan to look for an ulcer and of course it was negative. My husband and I are so tired of her not feeling good, I can only imagine how she feels. She was very active in sports and and now has to being manager for Volleyball. There are some days she has no appetite. She has completely avoided any meats or fried foods or foods with fat content. I've noticed she has started to lose wieght which she doesn't need to. Our local doctor has faxed the ct scan results to her surgeon but haven't heard from her yet. But after reading all of these problems from the rest of you I'm not sure she is going to find relief.

i wanted to tell you all..5 weeks post op i ended up feeling so ill i collapsed and got rushed into hospital, a scan revieled a collection of fluid around the site the gall bladder was removed...they thought i had been left bleeding internally but should settle with antibiotics....after 3 days in hospital it was apparent i was getting worse so my surgeon decided to re-operate and thank god he did !!..apparently i have 2 bile ducts and he had sliced through one which was hidden by my liver...1 in 10 have this and as it is a small duct and hidden by the lver it can easily be cut and gone unditected untill you get extreamly ill as the bile leaks out slowly...this happened to me and caused all my internal organs to stick together causing infection and my organs had started to fail...i could have died if the surgeon did'nt go back in and reoperate..thankfullyafter a 2 week stay in hospital i fully recovered and feel great !
I advise anyone out there who still feels seriously ill after their surgery to go back and see your surgeon and put forward the possibility of you having a second bile duct..it could just save your life !!!!!!

its nice to know im not he only one. i have been told its in my head. i have an incredible burning in my penis and pain in my testicles whlie haveing stomach pain. no one eill help because they say im psyco symatic or some sh*t. but i lived a normal life before this. ive been to so many doctors i dont know were to turn. any one has ANY suggestions at all please reply. and hiw do you find a doctor when your on pain meds? a doctor that cares. myh whole life has been turned up side down. i am writing this for my father . he needs a lot of help. all he can do is lay on his chair hes 49 not 80. he cant even go see his grand children and its killing him. he loved the outdoors and cant go fishing or hiking. he doesnt even laugh like he used to because of the pain. if you have any answers please reply thank you

hi there, i have had surgery 5 weeks ago and am experiencing the exact same pain under and around my right rib and around the incision sight. i too have been told it is nerve damage and am on a lot of painkillers but still refined to the bed. laying on back is best relief. please if any one has found a cure let me know. i am desperate. i need to be able to go to work!

Hi there,

Please contact Dr Lee Dellon or Shar Hashemi at ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

They are nerve surgeons who can help you.

I was diagnosed last year with nerve damage from having my gallbladder out over 7 years ago. I also have a lot of scar damage which made it worse. If I would have been diagnosed sooner, I could have gotten treatment sooner so it didn't have to get so bad. I was prescribed the lyrica, T3, demoral, morphine, etc. Never tried the lyrica as I was scared of the side effects. The pain killers do not help. I had some steroid injections which helped for a little while. Bending over, hunching over (sit properly!), lifting things improperly all aggravate this situation. I was referred to a physiotherapist who specializes in this problem and my nerve damage is 1000 times better. I had ultrasound done on the area and aggressive massage. It was very painful but it is worth it in the end. I also have an exercise ball that I can lay on my back and stretch the area out. Instead of being in excuiating pain for hours that could get so back I would throw up and always being sore, now I can live a more normal life. I know the last thing you probably want is for someone to touch you where you are hurting and I am not going to lie, it sucks but it changed my life. I just wish that doctor's would look at nerve damage but then that may indicate that the surgeon did something wrong I suppose. Regardless, it is important to get treatment for this as I went for years through all kinds of tests and then being told that it was in my head. Living in pain can cause one to really withdraw from life. I know that I did not want to go out very often as my nerve damage could flare up and I didn't want to have others see me in pain as at the time I didn't know what was wrong! Everyone, take care out there and don't give up!

I had my gallbladder removed in mid September. I took me a month to convince a doctor that it was actually my gallbladder as all my tests were negative. When I finally had the surgery they literally had to scrape it out of my body. I woke up in more pain then before and was on a dilaudid drip for a week. I threw up everything I ate and had horrible stomach issues, my life revolved around a bathroom. I lost 20 pounds and could barely get out of bed. I saw multiple GI doctors and they threw their hands up at me. I was even tested for sphincter of odie disorder because i had all the symptoms and it can happen after gallbladder surgery. I felt completely hopeless. My family doctor gave me something called Welchol and I was finally able to eat but I was having horrible pain in my abdomen right under my ribs. I was in constant pain and would have multiple blinding pains throughout the day. I finally found an amazing pain doctor who said that i had severe nerve damage in my abdomen from surgery. We did pain blocks once a week which lasted 4-5 days with 70% relief. Because the pain blocks were successful he recommended me for a Neurostimulator. This device has electrodes in your back the intercept pain signals sent from nerves to your brain and sends a different signal. I had this implanted in January and it has completely changed my life. It gives me 80% relief and i am now completely free of pain killers. No one deserves to live in constant pain and this is an amazing alternative to living on pain meds that cause more problems then they fix. If you are suffering and looking for results it is definitely something that i would recommend

Hi Guys, I posted months ago but have a break through I wanted to share.
I had a Dr in Brisbane at the RBWH did an exploratory operation on me 3 weeks ago.
He found an entrapped nerve in the scar. They have cut this out and the biopsy proved it was indeed a nerve. The pathologist said it showed 'prominent nerve fibres and that they were swollen'. Of course it was swollen...It's only been pulled & irritated for almost a year!!!.
Any way it has only been a few weeks since my operation so early days yet but they are hoping this might fix this problem.
Ruby!! I am getting the EXACT same symptoms as you. Everybody, If you are getting this pain please persist until you find somebody willing to go back in for a look around the scar causing the problem. This is not 'ALL IN YOUR HEAD' like the original surgeon kept telling me.
I have been in this AGONISING pain for almost a year. My life has been ruined by it. Please if you are in Australia contact me and I can put you in touch with the Dr who did my exploritory surgery as he might be able to help. I have been knocked back over and over again trying to get somebody to go back in and look as they were all in fear of it 'making it worse'. I told them, It couldn't get any worse!! Nobody believes the pain you are in but I know the feeling and it is horrendous. I feel for anybody going through this. I have my fingers crossed it is not too late for my nerves to heal. I know by looking up that the longer you leave these problems that the less likely they can heal. The pain  radiates from the scar around to my back on bad days. It is debilitating. Please keep looking for somebody to help you. Previous to this operation I also had steroid injections & anaesethic injections which all helped a wee bit but I still am on heaps of medication. Lyrica, tramadol & Norspan pain patches.
Please contact me if you need somebody to talk to you are not alone & this is not in your head!

Has anyone pursued any legal or malpractice compensation for your injuries? Do you believe the surgeons/doctors should be more forthcoming about the possibility that you have nerve pain so that the problem could be addressed sooner and possibly prevent the escalation of your pain?