I had car accident few months ago, where I had fracture of the left wrist. The exam results showed, back then, that median nerve was damaged. After a month doctor diagnosed the carpal tunnel syndrome. I experienced all common symptoms: numbness, tingling, and a prickly pin-like sensation. I was on therapy a few weeks and I felt better. But I wasn’t quite well. I still have weakness and I think I am losing sensation in my fingers. Is it possible that median nerve is permanently damaged? How will I know what are the symptoms of permanent damage?

I don’t know what the symptoms of permanent damage are but when compression continued person may begin to experience muscle weakness, atrophy, permanent weakness, loss of sensation, or even paralysis of the thumb and fingers of the affected hand. Without treatment and continued pressure on the median nerve puts you at risk for permanent disability in the affected hand.

similar case but not car accident. i was doin annual check up and the nurse was trying to draw blood from my arm sep 08, needle went apart, i got swab of pain from elbow bend to my middle fingers. treated for inflamation, less work for two month, but this winter, the arm still hurts, needles n prickles, fingers stiffens, cant go out in the cold long, else the arm gets so cold, then so hot, i never know which to do. help out, can this be permanent or will eventually go away as the nerves heal

i have nerve damage in my left hand. i puched on glass to open our door when my hand went through the door cutting my wrist. i have had one surgery to repear the nerve. but its going to take 21 months to know how everything is going to work with it. they measured from where my wrist was cut to my middle finger and that was 21cm. but the nerve growes 1cm a month i'm on my 4 month and my hand is not getting any better. there talking about doing two more surgerys. the only finger or my thumb that works like it should is my little finger and that is the only finger that i can feel. the doctor said after the first surgery in days maybe a week i would get the feeling back but i still havent. i hope things work out for everyone i know what your going through. i know its hard i have three children

Wow, that sounds really painful! I am glad to hear that you are living a normal life though and I think that sounds very encouraging. Thanks for posting your experience.

i understand your median nerve re-grows at 1mm a day/ around 1 inch a month... not 1cm a mont as suggested. hope this helps you :)

Here's my story:
Had a sports accident and broke my wrist. Surgery with a piece of steel holding the bones together. Went home in the morning and experienced acute CTS. Back to hospital for new surgery. After that I was in severe pain for about three months, and after that moderate pain + other sensations like tickling, hypersensitivity etc for 18 months. This was just recently getting better.
I also experienced pain from the peace of steel in my wrist and this kept getting worse though. About three weeks ago I had a new surgery to remove the steel plate. When the local anastethic went away I immediately felt the symptoms of CTS! I couldn't believe it but tests showed that the nerve was badly damaged. After one week I had another surgery to open up and try to fix. Median nerve was cut and they stitched it together.
Now looking forward to at least 22 months in pain. Next time I break something I'll stay at home... :'(

Back in 2008, I had a fall down the steps with a glass in my hand, I severed my median nerve and 3 tendons. That was the worst thing I EVER experienced in my life. I couldnt stand the pain, in my hand. I had it repaired, and when it started growing together it was the most horrific thing I ever experienced. It got so bad that there were nights that i stood in my kitchen looking at knives thinking it would just be better to get rid of my hand all together, and thats really not healthy, but it was horrible. No pain medication even came close to helping. I went to a pain doctor and he said I had RSD(chronic pain syndrome). I have always just thought that this was the way i was going to be forever. I moved to a different state and I now have a new pain doctor that really doesnt believe in drugs, but I now have a cyst growing out of my wrist. He sent me to a ortho surgeon and the surgeon thinks that they didnt attach it correctly. They might want to go back in and re-do it. I dont know if I can take it all over again. HELP!!!! :'(

i had a bad accident six years ago with left hand>Pushed down on garbage and there was a broken glass canister<sliced all three tendons and median nerve> it is one week a mm for growth>my hand is at thirty percent use>pain twentyfour seven>meds help but always in pain>very blessed with my gene pool and have a good attitude and outlook on life>does take it toll>still working blessed to have the kind of work i do (education)>the middle of the night is the worst>praying helps me focus on the big picture>>grandkids<kids>and a home i pulled out of foreclousure all by myself>pain can be outragous at times<cold weather there is no pain relief<still use the hand will not let it slow me down<year of therapy>she was awesome and she along with doctor said it was good attitude that got me through it>thanks to many family and friends>take care to all here who are suffering>will keep you in my prayers> sorry about carrots>>>>can"t seem to get the laptop to work right>>>>>or maybe its my hand typing is not a very fun job XD

I wish my doctor would have shared this info instead of saying "you should have the surgery". My family and financial circumstances were of concern at the time. Based on my doctor's less than urgent advice I delayed surgery endured progressive suffering and ultimately s/p surgery a disabled dominant hand

I severed my median nerve when I was a child by putting my hand through a screen door with glass. That was 40 years ago. They never caught the problem when I complained of severe pain. Now the thenar muscle is atrophied  and I have ape hand. I would dearly love to get some semblance of normality back the hand. I have read they can transplant tendons from the fore arm. Maybe I am just dreaming.

How is your recovery going?

I severed 6 tendons and the median nerve about 5 months ago on broken glass at the wrist. I have about 70% function back in my hand although I find it difficult taking coins out of my wallet, using chopsticks etc. The neve has regrown to the tips of my fingers already  but I have alot of hypersensitivity (hurts to turn keys, feels like the metals digging into my skin) I was wondering how long the nerve takes to reach the skins surface and if the nerve will ever feel normal? Does hypersensitivity settle down in time? My hand still feels semi-numb with a slight burning pain. It isnt too uncomfortable, just really annoying.

I'm not to sure now because I'm doctor told me the nerve grows 1cm a day ? Or is it a month ?

Hello sydkid , I done the same about 2 months ago , I severed 6 tendons in my right hand and severed my three nerves in my wrist . I am so so scared now the hands not moving at all and I can't fill a thing , I'm in so much pain everyday with it , I'm just wondering if I will ever be able to use the hand ever again , can anyone tell me if they have ever been though something like this and did they ever recover from it ,

The nerve grows about a mm per day. The younger you are the better the chance of recovery. I'm 28 and I am quite happy with the progress so far. (5 months) The physio said the nerve function comes after sensation (the median nerve controls thumb lateral movement).
There was an initial period of about 2 months where there is no nerve growth at all, then it begins to regenerate. Don't be too scared because the nerve probably hasn't started to grow back yet. My main issue was the scar tissue around the mended tendons that restricts movement. The more excersises you do the move you will break down the scar tissue. Make sure you take alot of vitamin C for tendon recovery and a strong vitamin b1 for best chance of nerve recovery.