Hello! I am about to start taking plaquenal for my rheumatoid arthritis and I would like to know if there is something special I should know about this drug.

Well, there are quite lot things one should know about this drug. For example, this drug will work on you ( rheumatoid arthritis ) after several weeks of usage. You should take it with a meal of glass of milk. If it doesn’t help you in 6 months you need to tell your doctor, so that he can switch you to something else. There are possible side effects a patient can experience from plaquenal. They are: abdominal cramps, acne, anemia, blind spots, blisters in mouth and eyes, blood disorders, blurred vision, convulsions, decreased vision, diarrhea, difficulty focusing the eyes, diminished reflexes, dizziness, emotional changes, headache, hearing loss, heart problems, hives, involuntary eyeball movement, irritability, itching, light flashes and streaks, light intolerance, liver problems or failure, and others. You shouldn’t take the med, if you have suffered partial or complete loss of vision in small areas while taking this medication or similar drugs, or any allergies or skin irritations. If using it for a long period of time, you should have an occasional physical examination including testing of knee and ankle reflexes and red blood cell levels. If any severe blood disorder develops that is not attributed to the disease you are being treated for, your doctor may discontinue use of this drug.