Recent study found that diet full of antioxidant, vitamins and minerals is not helpful for preventing macular degeneration which is age related. Researchers analyzed many dietary antioxidants and their supplements and tried to define if they have a role in preventing age related macular degeneration.

Results showed that vitamin A,C,E, A carotene, ß carotene , zinc and lutein have almost no effect in the prevention of early age macular degeneration. Study also found that none of the antioxidant supplements were protective against age related macular degeneration.

This disease causes visual loss among older people. It is caused by invasive break down of cells sensitive to light located in macula, in the center of the retina at the back of the eye. People diagnosed with this disease are not blind but they are unable to read, drive or do some other things which demand sharp vision. Smokers are more likely to suffer from it, study also finds.

It was thought that antioxidants reduce oxidative damage in retina but study unfortunately didn’t find enough evidence that could prove that antioxidants have a role in preventing macular degeneration and for now smoking remains the only acknowledged risk factor for early age related macular degeneration

I challenge this study.
Not all antioxidants are created equal.
Here is some information I have gathered, you may find helpful.
Maintaining vision health is vital, especially during the aging process. When light is reflected off an object, the light waves from the object enter the eye through the cornea, which is the transparent front part of the eye that covers the iris, pupil, and anterior chamber. The light is then filtered through to the pupil, which is the black circular or slit shaped opening in the center of the iris that regulates the amount of light that enters the eye. The iris is the colored portion of the eye that controls the pupil. The light then continues through the lens, located behind the iris and pupil, and made up of transparent proteins called crystallins. The light waves are bent or converged by the lens and the cornea to just behind the surface of the lens where it is then reversed and inverted.
The light waves then pass through the vitreous humor, the clear gel between the lens and the retina, which is a thin layer of neural cells that lines the back of the eyeball. The macula is a small yellowish spot located in the middle of the retina that is responsible for the detail of vision by providing visual sharpness and color perception. The retina consists of a large number of photoreceptor cells, which contain a particular protein molecule called an opsin. In humans, there are two types of opsins, rod opsins and cone opsins. Each opsin absorbs a photon (a particle of light) and transmits a signal to the cell through a signal transduction pathway, resulting in hyper-polarization of the photoreceptor. Within the retina, light waves are changed into electrical signals and then sent through the optic nerve, along the visual pathway, to the occipital cortex at the posterior or back of the brain. The brain is what actually reconstructs or interprets the electrical impulses into a picture.

The intricate process that contributes to visual degradation usually develops over a long time-period, making the need for a protective eye approach even more important. Free radical activity is a constant factor in the body’s metabolism. Waiting to begin an antioxidant defense against oxidative stress until the prime senior years may be too late. Promoting visual health is important, and can be accomplished through a healthy diet, exercise and the right supplementation.

Isotonix® Vision Formula with Lutein is an isotonic-capable dietary supplement combining vitamins and minerals with lutein, quercetin, eyebright, zeaxanthin and bilberry, designed to promote healthy vision throughout the aging process. Isotonix Vision Formula helps maintain the structural integrity of blood vessels and capillaries, helps maintain the membranes of cone cells in the eyes, helps maintain lens transparency, helps strengthen the cells of the retina, and promotes healthy oxygen and nutrient flow to the eyes. The antioxidant properties of Isotonix Vision Formula help protect the eyes from oxidative stress. It promotes healthy macular density, promotes healthy vision and supports night vision.

Isotonic, which means “same pressure,” bears the same chemical resemblance of the body’s blood, plasma and tears. All fluids in the body have a certain concentration, referred to as osmotic pressure. The body’s common osmotic pressure, which is isotonic, allows a consistent maintenance of body tissues. In order for a substance to be absorbed and used in the body’s metabolism, it must be transported in an isotonic state.
As far as I am concerned, this product is fantastic. Contact me if you are interested in learning more about the product

**edited by moderator**

I'm sick and tired of doom and gloom medical professionals who seem to love to report bad news. To them, there is no cure, no way to prevent something bad, and you just have to accept and live with it. They almost seem to delight in this! Hey, after all, we're all going to die, aren't we?

I'm 51 years old with deteriorating close-up vision, which my eye doctor tells me is simply "far sightedness". I have no symptoms or indication that I am or will suffer from AMD, other than the fact that my father has it and I'm a little concerned that I am therefore at higher risk. To read something like the above article is totally useless to me. The author would do better to just stay shut up.

I went through the same thing several years ago with my hearing. I developed chronic tinnitus and mild hearing loss and a doctor told me that I might have Meniere's disease. I went to the web and researched it and read the same articles full of doom and gloom, no hope, you're going to go deaf and there's nothing you can do about it, etc. I finally stopped reading all of that garbage and my hearing remains the same to date, nearly 5 years later. Nor have I ever acquired the dizziness that supposedly goes with this disease.

Do these doctors and researchers really want people to read their stuff and jump off of buildings and bridges? Then why do they write it? I wish they would just do their jobs and find cures for diseases, and keep their mouths shut in the meantime.