Hi, folks. My mother had a serious stroke several days ago. She survived, but she cannot open her eyes after this. I am very worried about her. What can be the possible cause of this? I would really like to hear your opinions. Thank you for all your help. It means a lot to me.

Hi, there. My grandmother had similar thing last year. She started to talk after the stroke, but she couldn’t open her eyes. I think this lasted for about two weeks. The doctor explained me that it depended on the part of the brain which was damaged. With my grandmother, it was probably the part of the brain that controls the muscles for eye movement. I guess it is the same case with your mother. You should talk to your mother’s neurologist to seek for an explanation. I hope she will feel better. Good luck!

Any updates on this? My aunt just had a stroke and she has not been able to open her eyes. It has been a week and a half and she can speak, hear and move perfectly fine, but can not open her eyes. If you open them for her, she can seee but she can't seem to be able to open them by herself.

My husband had a brain stem stroke on September 21st, 2008. He cannot open his eyes but can see when he opens them himself. He is strong and has full body functions. We are now into our 5th week and I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and if so what was the length of time before improvement.

My mom had a stroke almost 5 years ago. She has lost her speech and control of her right side.

Since today she is unable to open eyes or not opening eyes - last night she was speaking (her speech does not make sense since the stroke) - more than ususal. Will she be able to open her eyes again.

My sister had a stroke in July 2010. She has not yet opened her eyes but she can see when she holds one or the other open. Doctors are baffled. Any info out there?? Good websites to check??

Has anyone ever tried using clutch glasses? My grandad suffered such a stroke recently. He can open only a very small degree of his eyelids and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have vision but not be able to use it. These glasses keep your eyelids open for you. The only question I have about them is blinking. Please help anyone who can offer any advice. Thanks in advance

Why can't my brother-in-law open his after having a stroke?

Same case, My Mother suffered brain stroke and is now not able to open her eyeas for last 10 days, Kindly suggest and help,she is hospitalised under Neurologists and Doctor feel she is unconscious but she is able to listen , she responds though slowly and her Limbs and body is fine, but her EEG is abnormal, please help

Mom cannot open eyes after stroke
2
people have this question
Me too!
Reply Start new topic Subscribe to this topic

lucian over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 35 17
Link to this post Report abuse
s
See these topics also:
Can't have a surgery after stroke because of general anesthesia! my mom, a stroke victim, is being violent!What's going on? Feeling cramps in legs some time after stroke?

fairleigh over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

Guest over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

Guest over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

Guest over year ago

Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

Guest over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

Guest over year ago
Log in to leave feedback 0 0
Link to this post Report abuse

karenandrist 4 months ago
lucian wrote:

Same thing happened with my aunt. Sir please help me what to do. If u have any suggetion please contact me Milind Deshmukh

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi! May I know if your mom recovered? If so, how long did it take for her to be able to open her eyes again? My mother-in-law had a stroke last night and this morning she cannot open her eyes although she is alert and can talk and feel. Any additional information most appreciated.

My mother had a right brain ischemic stroke in December. She could not open her eyes for several days. Each doctor who visited asked first if she were blind. Since the stroke was on the right side of her brain, her language and speech were not affected. Thus, each time a doctor would ask (me or whomever else was in the room) whether she were blind, she would reply, "No! I just have small eyes and they are hard to open." (They weren't expecting her to reply). About a week after the stroke, her eyes started fluttering open. Now three months later, her vision is fine. She's still having difficulty with walking and fine motor skills, but her vision and sense of humor are intact. If your loved one has a stroke, do ask the doctors where it was in the brain. Find out what kind of stroke it was (ischemic, which is caused by a blood clot or hemorrhagic, which is caused by a blood vessel bursting). At the hospital, I asked the neurologist about it and found out that my mother had an ischemic right side stroke in her MCA or middle cerebral artery. Upon learning that, I researched it to find out what was damaged. That has helped my family in understanding what my mom is going through. Best of luck to all of you.

Where did he get them . please let me know

same problem in my uncle...so how to open eyes please tell me...