Hi. 29 yo M. My breathing is shallow and rapid, my chest hurt and my doctor first told me that I have pneumonia. That was a week ago and now he tells me that I have pleurisy? The third time it will be like, you have cancer or something. Pleurisy, pneumonia or what? I think my doc doesn`t have a clue, and will go for a second opinion. Is there somebody with experience who could tell me more about pleurisy? I was prescribed with ibuprofen.

Hi. I have lupus and pleurisy (lupus was the cause of that problem). Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura and the main cause of that disease are pneumonia and respiratory infections. The treatment involves analgesic, anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen, and codeine-based cough syrups. You should also try to breathe deeply and cough to clear congestion. Alternative treatments may be used, such as acupuncture and herb meds.