Hello, folks. My neighbor has been diagnosed pleurisy. I know that she had pneumonia before, so I am wondering whether pneumonia can cause Pleurisy. I would really like to know that. What do you know about this subject? Thanks for all your efforts in replying to my post. It will mean a lot to me.

Hi, there. Pleurisy can have many causes. One of them is pneumonia. Pneumonia can be caused by viruses, bacteria or fungi. There are other causes of pleurisy that isn't infection. Uremia, collagen vascular diseases, malignant diseases and other conditions can be important factors as well. Has your brother visited doctor yet? I guess he has. I don't know more details. I am sorry if I wasn't of more assistance. Good luck!

Hello there,

Pleurisy is inflammation and it is usually complication of some underlying condition such as pneumonia. But there are some other causes of pleurisy such as acute viral infection, and this is flu in most cases.    When it comes to the pneumonia infected portion of your lung involves the surface of the pleura.  Tuberculosis is one more cause of the pleurisy and some other infections and pulmonary embolism as well can cause this condition.

When it comes to the treatment it is focused on the underlying cause of the pleurisy. For example if your friends pleurisy is consequence of the pneumonia it will be treated with antibiotics because this is the best way to treat pneumonia. I hope this was helpful.