I’m interested in pluresy, a kind of disease that affects lungs. What is the difference between pluresy and pneumonia? I know what common pneumonia is but am not absolutely sure what pluresy is. Please give me some information on this. Is it a serious disease?

Pleurisy may be caused by different kind of micro organisms, like bacteria, viruses, fungi or parasites are. And pneumonia can be caused by same types of agents too. Also, autoimmune diseases like arthritis and lupus are may lead to development of pleurisy. Heart failure, rib fractures, lung embolism are associated to secondary pleurisy. It can be successfully treated, but symptoms are severe and patient has to stay in bed. Each move may cause sharp chest pain. Pleurisy is inflammation of the lining of the lungs.

Hello there,

Well, pleurisy is a mild form of pneumonia.  It is an inflammation of the pleura and this is the lining of the lungs.

In most cases it occurs as a complication from a severe cold or flu. People who tend to get pleurisy are the ones with breathing disorders or weaken immune system.  But ordinary people with good immune system can get it as well. Since the kosloski has explained you the difference between pneumonia and pleurisy I believe that you are now well informed about both conditions. I hope this was helpful and that you are just curious about this, and that noone in your surroundings isn’t suffering from either condition.