Hello, folks. My friend was discovered pleurisy. As far as I understand it is fluid between pleural layers. I would like to know why pleurisy occurs. I am no medical expert and I would like to know more facts. It would be great if someone could reply me. Thanks in advance.

Pleura has two separate layers. It filters the blood from the lungs. Usually the blood pressure in lung vessels is higher then in the blood vessels of pleura, so the fluid moves from the place of higher to a place of lower blood pressure. If a condition reverse this and the pressure in pleural vessel gets higher than in the lung vessels, there is pleurisy that appears. Many conditions can cause it. Those are infections, tumors of lung or pleura, vascular collagen diseases, uremia, etc. I am not sure which factor caused pleurisy with your friend. Do you know that? I hope I've helped a little. Bye!

Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura--the membranes that enclose the lungs, and line the chest cavity.

Pleural effusion is when fluid builds up there in between the layers causing pressure on the lungs making it hard to fill the lungs with air.

Pleurisy can be caused by bacterial or viral infection, can be a result of pneumonia, cancer, tuberculosis or other lung illnesses.

the corticsteroid "prednisone" is often used to treat the inflammation.
If the infection is bacterial, antibiotics can help, if it's viral, antibiotics are no use,and generally the infection has to work it's way out, much like when you have the flu.

Im almost 36yrs.and i've been getting very bad pain through my ribcage all the way through my back,very intese pain hard to breath at times,any pressure makes the pain intensify.I feel like i'm dying.I started expereincing this about 5 yrs.ago but over the years it seems to have gotten worse and happens more often.Ive been having constant pain through my neck,head,and throat.I've never had pneomonia,and I hardly ever get a cold,actually I hardly ever get sick.This is what I have to deal with more than anything.Is it caused by something that I might be doing wrong?I qiut smoking 2yrs ago,is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening anymore?Is it life threatning?