I'm 28 years old and recently I caught the flu, like the most of my family. I had the standard flu symptoms fever, cough, discharge from the nose and some mucus while I was coughing so I spend a few days in bed for it to pass. The fever did disappear and I thought I was fine but in the past day or two I started coughing up this thick yellow-green discharge and my lungs began to ache when I'm coughing. I'm scared that it could be something serious like a pneumonia. What should I do about this?

Yes it is possible that you have the pneumonia but the chances are very slim, your symptoms would possibly be the symptoms of an acute bronchitis rather than symptoms of a pneumonia. It is not uncommon that a flu infection of the higher respiratory tract organs could spread to the bronchial tree and cause viral bronchitis. Viral bronchitis is a serious condition but there is no cure against it and if the immune system is functioning normally it should go away within a week or so. If you’re coughing up greenish mucus then it is possible that the primary viral bronchitis got complicated with a bacterial infection on top of it. In that case you could be treated with wide spectrum antibiotics. In any case, if the symptoms don’t disappear within a week you should seek medical assistance since the complications can be serious and can ultimately lead to pneumonia.