Hi! My brother had yesterday spontaneous pneumothorax. He doesn’t live in same place as I. I only heard by phone what happened to him. He is in hospital now. Do you know something about pneumothorax? I worry for him. Tell me more about treatment. Why he is in hospital?

Hi! Spontaneous pneumothorax is a sudden collection of air or gas in the chest that causes the lung to collapse in the absence of a traumatic injury to the chest or lung. Spontaneous pneumothorax occurs in individuals with no known lung disease. The goal of treatment is to remove the air from the pleural space, allowing the lung to reexpand. Larger pneumothoraxes require either needle aspiration or a chest tube. Hospitalization is required for chest tube management as the reexpansion of the lung may take several days with the chest tube left in place. Surgery may be performed for a repeated episode to prevent recurrence. I hope that your sister will be better. I had pneumothorax too.