Hello, folks. My friend has been hospitalized due to some changes on his pleura. I am not sure what it is, but as far as I know, it is called empiem. I would appreciate if someone could give me some more details. What type of condition is it? Does anyone know? I hope someone will answer my post.

Hello to you too. Empyema represents a collection of pus in the cavity that surrounds the lungs. This cavity is also known as pleural cavity. Empyema is caused by an infection. This infection usually appears in lungs. From there, it spreads to pleura. This pus collection can build up and make pressure on lungs. A patient complains to pain and shortness of breath. I hope this was helpful. Bye!

Hi, everyone. I would agree with the previous post. Bacterial pneumonia is the most common cause of pleural empyema. However, it isn’t the only cause that exists. Thoracic trauma can also lead to empyema. It is known that 1-5% of all thoracic traumas lead to empyema. Rupture of lung abscess to pleural cavity can also lead to empyema. Other infections as mediastinitis or abdominal infections can also be responsible. Other causes are: esophageal tear, iatrogenic causes, etc. I hope your friend will be fine.

Hi, guys. Empyema is a term that refers to a pus collection in pleural cavity. It is a common complication for bacterial pneumonia. Antibiotics are here necessary. The treatment must be immediate. However, I think this is not enough. Pus should be drained by a chest tube. If a treatment is made on time, empyema does not leave any permanent damage to the lungs. I hope I’ve helped. Bye!