I know that pleurisy is inflammation of pleura. I know it since my neighbor was diagnosed with it. I found it strange disease and somehow I cannot understand it. His doctor still wants to treat him although he seems to be health these days. That is why I want you to tell me more about problem called pleurisy.

This two-layer protective wrapping fits closely around the lung with no actual space between the inner and outer layers. The layers are joined at the edges, so that the pleura might be compared to a closed balloon. This is completely empty of air and wrapped tightly around the outside of each of the lungs. Only a thin lubricating layer of fluid is normally between the inner pleural lining and the outer one. Ordinarily, the smooth linings and lubricating fluid serve to allow the lung free movement during breathing. As our grandparents learned through hard experience, pleurisy can arise from various causes. Moreover, it could take various ways to develop, sometimes with excess fluid in the pleural cavity. In this case, it is called wet pleurisy, while sometimes it develops without fluid, so is known as dry pleurisy. Sometimes pleurisy is accompanied by no pain, but sometimes it is very painful. When dry pleurisy heals, it leaves strands of fibrous tissue strung between the lung and the wall of the chest. In some cases, these adhesions are so extensive that they limit the movement of the lungs.