I was diagnosed with a schwanonia brain tumor on January 2010. I had the majority of it removed on January 26th, it was located near my left ear. According to the doctor it may take two surgeries to remove it, depending on how close to the nerves it is situated. It only took one surgery to remove most of it. The remaining will be dealt with via radiation, if it grows back. The tumor was non cancerous but was quite large. I had severe headaches for quite some time and I finally got a doctor that did their job. I had surgery and had post surgery complications, meningitis infection, coma, pneumonia, etc. I woke up, or remember waking up in the last week of March in rehab. I was released on March 9, 2010. I lost 21 pounds in the hospital, not a recommended way to lose weight. My memory is quite fatigue, but is getting better, short term is more challenge then long term. It’s coming back.
I’m struggling with the fact that my surgery was in January. I’m back at work, part time (4 hour days) in May. I mentally wanted to do more as soon as permission was given for return to work status, but my body has told me to slow down. Fatigue only allowed me to work three days during the week. I had an infection of the area where the shunt was located in my head and has been healed from antibiotics. I have a lingering cough that makes my head ache. Allergies. I’m not back to myself yet after this time from the surgery. Everyone has told me to slow down and now I’m listening to my body. My fiancé and family have been there since day, -6. They tell me to slow down. Now I’m listening. I keep getting reminded that I just had brain surgery. Is this common? I don’t want to feel as though I’m ‘wimping’ out in this recovery stage. People tell me, some patients take a year to recover, then go back to work. They tell me I’m doing very good so far after what I have been through. Anyone feel the same?

Hi honey! 1st of all BIG HUGS!!!! 2nd you are like many people who have no outside problems! What I mean by that is, IF you had surgery on your arm and it was in a sling, or an operation on your leg and your leg was in a cast, THAT is the reminder and the signal to others that there was something wrong - it is also a signal to yourself! BUT when it is something you can't see - such a brain surgery, internal surgery etc. Then YOU and others forget! You actually forget that you had MAJOR surgery! Just like people that had a heart attack, they FORGET and want to get out there - since they are feeling better, they go and do something silly and WHAM get hit again! And i'm sure you ahve found that your body does NOT suffer fools very well! Meaning WHEN you push your body, it will slap you down quicker than you can blink! AND then add on punishment for it! Kind of like being in jail, coming out being put on probabtion, you break probabtion WHAM the jail door slams again! - Actually I think that was a VERY good analogy!!! ;-) XD XD So LISTEN to your body, and your doctor and PRAISE the Lord that you didn't have the outcome like so many other poor people do and that your tumour was NOT cancerous! So THANK your body for holding up it's end of the bargain, and take care of it - and thus you better - and take your time and little steps, relax, eat well, breathe, and take your sweet time! Your body WILL tell you when your probabtion is over and you don't need to go back to jail!!! ;-) God Bless and Good luck and HEALTH!