Hi. I was diagnosed with skin cancer. I had a mohs micrographic surgery 8 months ago. The cancerous tissue is gone, but now I have a large scar on my cheek. How to get rid off this large, post mohs surgery scar?

Hi. Mohs surgery usually leaves the smallest possible scars. They are often barely noticeable. However, scars have the ability to remodel in appearance six months, or a year after the surgery. Depressed scars may be elevated with Zyderm collagen. Roughened scar may be smoothed with chemical peeling, or laser resurfacing. I also had a post mohs surgery scar. It has faded some, but I still hate it. I think I will try Kelo-cote. It is a silicone gel which improves the appearance of scars.

Hi kyla,

I know that the scar looks awful and that you are very disappointed because it is on your face but believe me the outcome could have been even worse. I had mohs two years ago and I have scar on my eyebrow. It looked, in the beginning, very awful. But after 8 months it has faded a little bit and the cosmetic surgery I was considering was to expensive so I just gave up.

Every time when I see that scar I just remember that I am alive and that is much better to be alive with the ugly scar than to be dead and perfectly scar less. Remember that when you feel depressed because of the scar.