I had a total parathyroidectomy last year. I am taking Calcium and Vitamin D tablets. I am 33 years old. My symptoms since the operation (and still plague me to this day) are:

Achy bones - some days I feel 70 years old
Feet really hurt in the morning
Achy muscles (all over my body)
Weight Gain (because I don't feel like moving)
Serious numbness of calf muscles (legs) groin area, arms
General feeling of Anxiety (all over my body but sometimes located in the chest area)
Numbness and pins and needles on any part of my body that is inactive.
A weird crawling sensation around the top of my back and around my ears.
An odd numbness of fingers (particularly between the thumb and forefinger)
cognitive issues: mental fogginess, inability to focus and concentrate.

What can I do about this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hi Wildcherry - I'm sorry that you are feeling so bad. Surely they left at least part of one parathyroid. I don't think they can remove them all. Or, was it your thyroid that was removed rather then your parathyroids? Have you contacted your surgeon about your difficulties? Do you have an endocrinologist? I would suggest that you contact these people. What were the results of your latest tests? Some of your symptoms sound like they could be from low calcium.

I hope you find someone who can help. Don't keep your symptoms to yourself. mass

Wildcherry: If you had a total parathyroidcetomy (4 glands removed), first of all you need to see your Dr asap. You could be hypoparathyroid . Not sure how much calcium you are taking,but would like to see you post your current lab results. Please do not keep these symptoms to yourself as posted earlier. See your DR. txg...ps when was surgery?

Hi. I am 6 weeks post - op. Felt great immediately after the surgery and then that started to change.
I had terrible numbness in my entire body and tingeling in my feet and hands. After about 2 weeks, that ended. However now I am suffering from depression, anxiety, cannot sleep and I have gained weight. Needless to say, this is not what I was told was going to happen. I am not pleased. Does anyone know if the symptoms will fade away with time?

Guest, have you had recent labs? Please post them if you can. How many adenomas did you have and what procedure did your surgeon perform? Is it possible your surgeon missed an adenoma? I would certainly follow up with pcp and get a copy of surgery report from surgeon or pcp. Recovery is different for everyone and I hope you are feeling well soon. Best regards, tg

Guest - do not wait for your symptoms to go away! They should be investigated. If you have an endocrinologist, call immediately. Your surgeon should also be willing to help. Stay in touch with him. Surgery is not a magic cure-all and recovery can take a while and is different for everybody but you should not be experiencing all those symptoms. At least some of it could be due to low calcium but you deserve answers. Don't give up till you find someone who will help you. Hope you will feel better soon. mass

I had a parathyroidectomy done in February 2010 and feel better - but far from 100%
I'm still experiencing exhaustian, irritability and anxietly, as well as weight gain and a bit of trouble with memory loss. Some days I feel 89yrs old! My labs have come back with everything looking ok. The doctors can't seem to give me an answer.
Quite frustrating.

Make sure magnesium levels are normal. Hard to normalize calcium unless magnesium is WNL.

I had parathyroidectomy in Feb 2011. I only one Adenoma gland removed. I felt good for a month or two after but then some of the symptoms started to return too. I was tested in June and in Septmeber again and no signs of another adenomas, but wow, I feel like im 80. I have all the same things some of you have now, anxiety, depression, irritable, tired, weight gain, sore & achey etc. I been taking the Vit D3, calcium and just stared taking 500 of Mag too. Im feeling a little bit better now except my arms still ache terribly. I wonder if after these surgeries we never quite go back to normal.

hi I had parathyroidectomy in jan 12, i am feeling better but have been left with awful anxiety and thinking someting bad will happen. I was told it can take up to two years to recover fully. My other symptoms are definately better but the anxiety and panic attacks are awful. Bloods tests are fine and back to normal.

Who told you that it can take up to two years to fully recover.  I've never read anything about that and no one's ever told me that.  I'm six months out and all of my levels are normal, calcium/pth/magnesium, but I feel terrible.  I have tingling and cold feelings in my hand, I'm very foggy and my memory is bad.  I have a stiffness in my jaw and tingling in my left foot and leg.  I'm also very anxious.  The Dr's (endocrinologist and GP) have told me that I have anxiety disorder and have prescribed a daily anxiety drug, which I don't want to take.  I'm 45 years old and had kidney stones since I was 20 years old.  The surgeon suspected that I had high calcium for over 25 years.  Is it possible that my body/brain was used to such high calcium levels, that now that I'm in the normal range it's really screwing me up?  I need a DR's name that can comprehend this type of issue.

I am 4 days post-op.  Yesterday morning I felt like I had the most energy than I have had in years.  Today, I have totally crashed.  Mainly the fogginess that I have been reading about.  Kind of like I am still asleep but can hear people talking.  Also, I noticed a feeling on the back of my neck and shoulders...really kind of hard to explain but like when you put a deep heating rub on you can feel the cool vapors coming off your skin.  A tad bit dizzy... went to the ER and they checked all of my blood  everything was normal.

I had my right side parathyroid glands removed in November 2013 as I was HyperCalcemic. Since then I have suffered excruciating pain in my left shoulder and arm and across my collarbone and loss of strength.

The pain travels up through my neck, resulting in migraines and dizziness and ringing in my ears. My GP has started me on Stemitil 5mg recently (2 Days ago).

I have tried physiotherapy to no avail and all my bloods are normal but, I feel near suicidal at times from the pain.

I am no stranger to pain as i am awaiting a MRI for suspected compacted vertebrae in my lower back and at Xmas was diagnosed with a twisted pelvis. ( possible congenital deformity as arthritis is rampant in my family)

I have just turned 43 and have suffered with back pain for the last 3 years and before that enjoyed excellent health and walked 15-20 miles per week.

Could the surgeons have damaged the nerve clusters in my neck/shoulder during surgery from keeping my left arm in the over head position for too long?

Hi I dont know if you are still here but you are the exact same as me. 45 year old, 1 adenoma removed 6 weeks ago, left hand tingly, pain shooting down left leg with numbness/tingling, left arm feels weaker. Amazing! All labs are normal, going for MRI this week. I don't understand why its the left side. I would think if my body is trying to get used to the new lower but normal calcium level it would be both sides. I am scared I have ALS or MS, have actually convinced myself of it. Just wondering if you ever felt better since its been a year now. I am so anxious all time now (diagnosed with anxiety at 19!!). But anxiety has worsened so much since surgery (now they want me on meds, havent taken any for years!). Please let me know how you are..I am so worried! Thank you!!!!

Wild cherry, how are you doing now? I had a parathyroid gland removed one month ago and it has been tough. I share the same symptoms as you.
Chris