I am 23 years ols, mother of 2 small children, and I just recently (3 days ago) had hammer toe and bunion removal surgery. My bunion was shaved down and my hammer toes, which were on alol four smaller toes, some bone was cut.

I was wondering how long it usually takes for someone to heal from this. I am healthy, take no meds, but I just feel like I will never get better. I also wanted to know why one Podiatrist was willing to do both feet, and my Podiatrist that I went with only liked to do one at a time, why is that?

Thank you.

I had hammertoe surgery performed on both of my fifth (pinky/little) toes. It has taken my a full ten month to completely heal. Please do not believe your doctor when they tell you just two to six weeks. Be encouraged you will heal and get shoes back on, just not as fast as you think! I am very happy with the results of my surgery. My feet look GREAT! It simply takes forever to get shoes back on, without feeling  any sensation or pain to area that was cut. Please do not make the mistake of choosing shoe that have a narrow toebox. YOU MUST wear shoes with a wide toebox. Your feet need to be placed in a shoe that is loose, not tight to the toes. I highly recommend hammertoe surgery. The healing timeline is very long!

I totally agree Yellow, I heard stories about six weeks but did not believe them, I had bunion and hammer toe surgery on one foot and on January 23rd and I am absolutely delighted with my new foot, I can't stop looking at it, it is still a bit swollen of course but I am treating it like a precious jewel, I wish that I had been brave and had it done years ago, the next one will be done in January 2014 when the first is totally healed, my surgeon has a fantastic reputation as one of if not the best in the Netherlands and he flatly refuses to do two at the same time and he will not do the second until the first has healed.

I get mine done on Thursday but am scared of the spinal. Anyone had one?

Do you mean epidural? if so I had one when my son was born and didn't feel any pain just a but of pressing on my back. For my bunion and hammer toe operation I had the injection at the back of my knee, no recollection of that at all, I had a sedative.

My foot is absolutely beautiful and I love it, I will be having the other one done in January, can't wait!!

Good luck!