I had surgery three months ago with Dr Das of Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia and it was a big success and Dr Das was fantastic.  Here is my story.  

I am a 69-year-old male and three months ago I was diagnosed with severe urinary retention in my bladder, about 900 mL after urinating.  I had an enlarged prostate of 80 gms with a large median lobe. This was a surprise to me since I was not experiencing any major symptoms other than periodically having an urgency to urinate. Because of my urine retention, I had to wear a bag for a week and then self Cath for three months prior to my Holep surgery. The whole process of self cathing with two bladder infections was somewhat traumatizing.

During the only preop visit, Dr Das reviewed the ultrasound results from my local urologist of my prostate and agreed that I was an appropriate candidate for surgery.  He was very thorough and helpful in explaining possible outcomes.  He warned me that I may still need to self cath after the operation since my bladder had expanded so much and had been compromised because of holding a liter or more of urine for some period of time (I estimate up to two years with this problem)  

The operation went well with no complications (I should mention that I also had a second surgery at the same time to lop off the end of my colon because of a potentially cancerous polyp/tumor in my colon adjacent to the appendix).  Dr Das had suggested doing both surgeries at once since it would save me the trauma of going through a second surgery a few months after Holep.  He was extremely helpful in coordinating with the other surgeon.  

Dr Das left the catheter in for one week just in case I was not able to empty my bladder and still needed to self cath.  A week later when the nurse took the catheter out I was able to empty my bladder!  I have had no problems since and I have a strong stream with no sense of urgency and no leakage   In summary it was a complete success and I am extremely grateful to Dr Das.   I should also mention that the nurses st Jefferson hospital were all specialized in urology and were super.   I walked out of the hospital at 11am the morning after my surgery.

Grateful Marty

Oops. It was three weeks ago not three months ago. Grateful Marty

HI Marty,

I’ve come across your helpful posts. I am caretaker to my 87 year old father. He was doing great till he had a cystoscopy and they sent him home with a Foley catheter. He is now in the hospital with an awful infection and the doctor says we have to decide on something ASAP.

I too was looking at Holep. Can you tell me about the anesthesia used? My dad had an anesthesia induced stroke 12 years ago so I’m at a loss of what to do. We were even going to try suprapubic but that looks like another infection trap. Uncomfortable and requires constant care. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Laura