I need some info about surgery on spine I think it is called spinal fusion and my mom is about to have one next week. She is only 48 but for years she has been suffering from spinal scoliosis and she was suggested recently to have some surgery on spine for that is the only way she could make her spine look normal and to get rid of the pain also. I would like to hear would this surgery on spine help my mom, how it is done and what are the possible complications of spinal fusion.

Spinal scoliosis is usually treated with some sort of surgery on spine and usually it is about spinal fusion. My dad had the same surgery for the same reason and I know that this sort of surgery on spine consists of fusion that is connecting the spinal vertebras, in which manner the spinal flexibility is decreased but also the curve as well as the pain are being eliminated. In fact the spinal flexibility doesn't have to be that much limited if the small pieces of some connecting bone is used and usually another incision needs to be made for the fusion bone usually originates from the patient itself and usually it is small part of the hip or pelvic bone, but also in some cases the fusion may also be performed using bank bones. Anyway possible spinal fusion complications are bleeding and infection as well as urinary problems though this is very rare. Your mom should feel some pain few days after the spinal surgery and she could expect also to have some inner or outer immobilization also in order of fusion progress and in some cases both sorts of immobilization are needed.

How many Degree thus your mother have in his scoliosis? well the surgery will need instrumentation plus depends on how many level of vertebra are need to be aligned times two of screws are needed to be place in your moms vertebra and including two rod's. the surgery also depends on your moms anatomy and how your surgeon deal with it. i hope it helps you on something. best luck on your mother part godbless

The implants that are usually used are made of titanium alloy nowadays, the incision will came from the back (posterior) and put pedicle screws and rod's the doctor will put some bone graft before closing the wound,