I had a cervical laminectomy in C-4- C-7 two weeks ago.  My symptoms prior to surgery included numbness, tingling, gritty feeling in hands, numbness in toes, pain in upper arms and legs.  Only improvement noted after surgery is less pain in my legs.  How long does it usually take for the numbness, tingling and gritty feeling in my hands to disappear? 

We have the same problem, the only difference is the location on my laminectomy, c3-c5. My doctor said it will return fully/almost after 6 months. In your case, how many months have you waited before it returns to normal? Does it recover fully or almost?

I was told by my neurosurgeon that it would take at least a year after surgery before my hands would get better. Problem is, I have had 2 more spine surgeries (ACDF) my last surgery was 6/24/14. Now I have to wait at least until 6/24/15 before my hands may get better. I am now at the 9 month post surgery and my hands are worse than ever. The grittiness is more profound and there is much more pain as a result. I am on gabapentin and thank heavens for that because the pain would be far worse without it. My hands are weak and my wrists and thumbs hurt all the time. I get relief at night by sleeping with carpal tunnel braces on. I sure hope as I get closer to my surgery anniv. that this will all start to dissipate. My balls of my feet and my toes are also numb but that is so much easier to deal with.
I had an OT tell me it could take from 1-1/2 years to get the feeling back and for the grittiness to go away.
I found someone about a year ago that had gritty/numb hands and he told me that it takes at least a year and it will all go away. I just have to be patient. His hands were normal after having the same problem over a year. After hearing this I became hopeful.