hello,
Ive just found out im pregnant and worried it hasnt been long enough since i last took roaccutane. i no it has been more then a month and i have had two period cycles since last taken my gynacologist said i should wait at least 4 months but i have heard just a month and now worried that my baby might have birth defects and if i should abort
thankyou

This is CARFAIRY..

ROACCUTANE is a serious drug, it DOES cause birth defects, and this is why pregnancy SHOULD be avoided while taking it and for 4 months after.

Yes, you do need longer than ONE month, most docs say abuot 3-4 months, because the drug stays in your system.

SHOULD you abort? That is a toughie.. I work in healthcare, I work for Planned parenthood and a physician who performs abortions.. I believe you should only have an abortion IF YOU FEEL it is right for you and your situation.

YOU ARE Correct in assuming that because of the roaccutane you are at HIGH RISK for defects. MANY people may say continue the pregnancy, and then have tests done later to make sure everything is okay.. BUT that requires you to be farther along in your pregnancy to have an abortion.

ASK your gynecologist if she feels that you would be at high enough risk to warrant an abortion.
I UNDERSTAND your concern for having a HEALTHY pregnancy and baby!! This is NOT the first time I have talked or discussed this, roaccutane is used by many women who are pleased witht he results.

I finished roaccutane 6 weeks ago and have been undecided about when to start trying to conceive. Every dr that I have spoken to has told me that one month is long enough to be off roaccutane before trying to conceive, in fact my dermo told me that the drug is out of your system in 9 days but medical advise is one month to be safe.

As far as the information I've received I really don't think you need to consider abortion, but I think you should speak to the medical practitioner that prescribed the roaccutane to you as they should have the most information on the drug and its side-effects.

Links below to a couple of websites including the Roche website:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/medicinesforacneexpert/

http://www.roche-australia.com/downloads/roaccutane-pi.cfm?action=get

Good luck with your pregnancy!

i was on accutane 20mg everyday from june 2012 till 6th oct2012 ,and my last period cycle was on 8th nove it means i ovaluted on22nd nov ....now i am 16 week preg and no negative report plz tel me my baby will be fine....m tnse help me

I believe in pro choice. I also got pregant while taking the medication roacutane. I had just started the week I find out I was pregnant and stopped immediately. I was also on birth control. I decided to go ahead with my pregnancy - although it was closely monitored and it was the most scary experience, being told all the things that could possibly happen to my baby. Scans after scans (a total of six) and each one cleared of abnormalities, although I was told we wouldn't know 100% until my baby was born. But I now have a very healthy six month old, no defects at all. Its hard and personal decsion to abort I understand - and absolutely no judgements here. I just wanted to share my experience in the hopes it helps someone else going through a similar experience make up their mind, when this happend to me I was freaking out and very conflicted waying up risks and what not - espeically the very high chance of deformailty, but there is some hope. I had also taken 4 pills so I was very lucky. The longer you are on the medication the higher the risks.