HIiall. My 16 year old daughter has been prescribed with Dianette and Trimethoprin for three months in try to clear up quite severe acne on her face and chest. But, even after she had been on it for four months, there was no difference. Now, her consultant wants to try with roacutanne. As those two meds could not help her, I’m skeptic with this one too. Can anybody here tell me if can roaccutane help her?? I would be very interested to hear your experiences. Also, we are considering another alternative – atkins diet. What do you thing if this?? Thanks.

I am 25 and had really bad acne at the age of 14 - 15. I was too put one various antibiotics who did help me, but only temporarily. By the time I was 16 they got even worse. Then my doctor put me on roaccutane. It helped me really a lot. But, just as with other meds, it did not last too long – two years after, acne came back. Then they put me on dianette that also cleared my spots but, nevertheless, they came back once more. Then it was more than obvious that pills can’t help me so we decided to take diferent approach – so I started with atkins. Since I’ve been on the atkins diet my skin has cleared up even more. But, I’m not saying that the died is suitable for young girls as your daughter. She should cut down on white bread and switch to whole meal, then cut down on biscuits, ice and cakes – combined with roaccutane it should be enough.

I guess this is kind of late, but wouldn't risk taking roaccutane.

I know a lot of people who did and have "unexplainable" medical conditions. I took (quite a lot of) it twenty years ago, and a few years later I was suddenly very ill. I've had huge health issues ever since, the main problem being hypothyroidism that doesn't respond to medication, and extreme 'tiredness'. Plus rosacea and other nice little skin and rheumatic conditions. (etc)

At least they made me sign a statement saying I would not become pregnant while taking the drug before giving it to me. Sounds really healthy.

In the early nineties I was part of a group of people preparing to sue Roche (manufacturer) since it seemed that the roaccutane was the reason for a lot of health problems. But the first 'test cases' lost because it was of course difficult to prove Roaccutane was the reason. And Roche of course has a lot of money and lawyers. So we gave up.

So the situation is that doctors still give this "harmless vitamin A" drug to children.

HI, i am 17 and i have been on roaccutane for 6 weeks, and i have had persistant moderate acne for several years. there is no scientific evidence that the drug causes depression, however i have noticed some mild mood swings in my behaviour since i have been on it. I have seen friends of mine with terrible acne go on roaccutane, and now have clear faces. mine hasnt worked yet but i have high hopes. i defiantly suggest ur daughter try this drug, because chances are it will work, and she'll end up miserable without curing her acne. side effects such as dry skin and lips can be painful, but are incidental in the pursuit of ultimate happines and confidence.

I am 23 years old and have been on roaccutane for fourth months, I finish the course tomorrow. I have found the drug absolutely fine. My acne has improved a lot, however, it is not gone which disappoints me. It can continue to improve for up to 8 weeks after treatment, but I am not confident it will have been completely gone by then. The only side effect I have had is dry lips and skin, and as the price to pay for eight years terrible skin is not a lot. Severe depression is rare, 1 in 10, 000 cases reported.

i was prescribed roaccutane for severe acne iwas told it was 96% successful it did not work for me i still have severe acne

At 32 I was put on Roaccutane for moderate acne, the consultant didn't explain any of the side effects apart from I must NOT get pregnant. I would not advise anyone to take this drug. My skin got worse and I had to take steroids for 3 weeks, I put a stone on in weight during that time.
I also have a rib that protrudes more, Roaccutane can alter bone shape and size. My mouth was constantly dry and peeled all the time.
I decided to try different ways to clear my skin, I take Vitamin B6 and Evening Primrose Oil, I have a home facial every week ( 5 minutes)and go to a salon for a proper facial every 6 weeks. I also use medicated skin wash and cream at night and a good moisturiser. My skin is spot free.

IT sounds like you're using gentler cleansers which is definitely going to help you out if you have an issue like that. THanks for posting your insight into the situation. I appreciate it!

I agree with your recommendations...

In 85/ 86 I had first one round of roaccutane for acne - mostly on my back. It didn't work very well, so I had another extra strong and long.

I've developed several serious medical conditions since, and I have no doubt roaccutane has played a part in this.

More than 20 years of ME/ CFS, back problems, hypothyroidism, arthritis ... It's not a fair price for getting rid of a few pimples.

Also, ironically, I got rosacea.

Already in the early nineties, Roche was sued for damages, but since the first cases were lost, I was among those who dropped it. The reason was of course that no one could prove that all these diverse damages were caused by the drug.

I've met quite a few people who've taken Roaccutane, all have some unexplainable illness or weird symptoms.

I find it quite distressing that it's still widely used and given to children.