Hi! I have certain hormonal problem. Exactly I have high level of the hormone prolactin. My doctor prescribed to me DOSTINEX tablets. I didn’t start use them yet. I wanted to know what the possible side effects of this drug are. Can somebody who takes it tell me that, please? Thank you!

Dostinex usually use for the treatment of hyperprolactinemic disorder. I’m taking it for a long time and I can tell you that it really helps. This medication can cause dizziness, headache, nausea, tiredness, weakness and even constipation. And remember to check what other medications can take while you use Dostinex. Of course, don’t mix with alcohol.

I've had breast cancer twice and am post menopausal. My Chinese oncologist does blood tests every year for me and this year told me that for my age I have 8 times the normal level of prolactin. If you put in high prolactin levels and breast cancer, you'll find loads of articles, most no more than 10 years old, about this. He prescribed Dostinex to lower my prolactin levels and before filling my prescription, I looked up everything I could find on Dostinex. The first couple of articles I came across seemed to imply that body builders have started using it as a kind of steroid and they like it. Then the drug insert websites seem to play down the side effects. Then, the more I looked the more scarey stuff I found. I found a whole blog devoted to people taking it or having taken it and discussing all the different side effects they experienced. Everything from psychosis, personality change, hypersexuality or gambling addiction, vertigo, depression, fatique, and on and on. Another scary side effect mentioned was heart valve problems. That side effect supposedly was only with high doses, since this drug is also used for people with Parkinson's disease. But somewhere I read that these side effects could occur rarely but still occur on any dosage.The whole thing scared me to death so I didn't in the end take the Dostinex. My doctor lives in another state and he has never contacted me to find out if I was taking it or if I had any side effects. He never mentioned anything to me and I am very disillusioned with him at the moment. So, for the moment, I would rather deal with high prolactin and the increased risk of breast cancer ( again!) than not knowing what the Dostinex side effects might be. Maxie seemed OK with taking it but I would advise Ardelia to do lots of research and then talk some more with her doctor. Ask him how many people has he treated with Dostinex and what their experiences were. Maybe it will be OK to take it.

I have been taking Dostinex for 11 years now and the only side effects I have had are fatigue. Its great for lowering prolactin levels but has for sure made me much more tired and lethargic

Dont be scared to take it, if you read all the side effects that many of the over the counter drugs have you would be shocked.

:-D hi my name is teresha i have started taking dostinex four weeks ago due to high prolactin caused by tumor on pituitary gland. I did some looking on the internet and decided to try it and see what happens, I made the decision to take it friday night so on the weekend i can deal with the side effects. It makes me very tired, light headed, migrains. Usually they ease by wednesday so then it starts again on friday. I find that it also makes me jittery i feel like i am shaking that has not eased but no one at work has noticed. I go back thursday to the doc to see if it is doing any good. But he informed me that i will be on this medication for a long long time.

Hi all, I’m on Dostinex for 21 weeks now after been diagnosed with a 5mm micro adenoma in the pituitary gland due to high levels of prolactine.
Along with the tumor I was also diagnosed with polycystic ovaries, enlargement of both ovaries (they were 3 x larger than normal!) and few cysts in my thyroid gland…
I suffered from excruciating period pain, irregular periods, mood swings, weight loss (lost abt 2 stones in a period of 6mths), hair loss, dry skin and scalp, weakness, trouble concentrating, headaches, vertigo…
At the time I was sure that I had a thyroid problem due to the drastic weight loss but after doing a blood test they found that my prolactine was higher than normal so I underwent MRI, ultrasounds and lots of blood tests… was a very stressful period for me.

Dostinex is a very powerful drug and the side effects are quite bad, at first I had vertigo, depression, fatigue, confusion, nausea, mood swings, got a bit aggressive and short tempered and so on. The first 2/3 mths were the toughest I would start crying for no reason, felt sad most of time, wanted to sleep all day… had no energy whatsoever. As Teresha I found the two days before and after the tablet very difficult.

On the other hand the drug seems to be working for me, my periods are now regular and with very little pain, my hair is growing back and even though I haven’t put on any weight I haven’t lost either. I’m 24 years old and slightly underweight.

I was diagnosed with a tumor on my pituritary over 20 years ago. I started taking bromocriptine, but it was too strong for my system. After about 6 or more years; I started taking dostinex. It was the best thing for me. I have not had any side effects. I was later diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I am now 7 1/2 months pregnant with my first child. I did not take any fertility drugs; nor, in-vitro. If you're having problems with dostinex; try taking a smaller dose to get your body accustomed to it.

I used 1/2 before sex, it gives an awesome boner, because it reduces the prolactin levels and shortens the retratory period. That means as soon as cum, you can get hard again. Its one awesome drug . The only side effect I get is a stuffy nose.

Hi!!! i had irregular period.When my docter gave me some natural medicine,it actually worked for some time then I had the problem again. the doc diagnosed hyperprolactemia....i started the treatment with Dostrinex tablets(1/2 this Friday night and 1/2 yesterday morning). Friday night i had no problem but in the morning, I had terrible headache the whole day . I also read something on the net which says not to mix migraine medicine and Dostrinex so I could not do anything about the pain.

I was diagnosed with a 5mm tumour on my petuitary gland and given Dostrinex. I started about 6 weeks ago. I find that it is making me extremely tired and I have trouble concentrating at work, other than that I have no had any serious side effects.

Will the tiredness and trouble concentrating stop at some point?

Have your mood swings decreased? I have been on this medication for 4 months secondary to a pituatary adenoma and increased prolactin levels.  The medication has decreased my levels and tumor size.   I do feel emotionally different. I dont get violent mood swings, but I have found I have become "detached" and impulsive.  In fact, I have just called off an engagement and 3.5 year relationship.  Can you relate to these mood/frame of mind changes? I am considering stopping the medication.  

Did you ever find a good alternative?? I have been taking cabergoline off and on for several years now, and the emotion side effects that I have are a nightmare.