Hello. I have been on seroxat for 4 months now. I read that this drug may increase the levels of prolactin. Now, I know that prolactin is a hormone that stimulates breast development and milk production. I would like to know what can increased or high levels of prolactin lead to? Thank you!

Increased levels of prolactin or lets better say excessive levels in woman that are not pregnant is called hyperprolactinemia. In women that are not pregnant the levels of prolactin are low but when the woman gets pregnant these levels go up to stimulate milk production. Excessive levels of prolactin may lead to inadequate progesterone production during luteal phase after ovulation, irregular ovulation and menstruation, absence of menstruation and milk production in women that are not pregnant. Also, when there are high levels of prolactin, further testing is done to check for pituitary tumor.