I need your help. My mother just came from brain scan. The result is not a god one at all – pituitary microadenoma found 5 mm big. Doctors have yet to determine whether it is operable or not. After they bring that conclusion, therapy will be set or surgery. I do not know much about this microadenoma so I have been hoping that I might get some additional info this way.

Pituitary is gland, approximately 10 mm in diameter. It is located on sella turcica, part of sphenoid bone in the skull. Adenomas here could be secreting and none secreting. Secreting ones are further divided by the hormones they secrete, so there are prolactinomas, growth hormone secreting tumors and other. As for non secreting adenomas, they usually press nearby structures (such as optic chiasma). You have not given more detailed specifics, but I assume that they will determine the right way to proceed with treatments.

Try not to worry- I was diagnosed with a microadenoma about three years ago. My doctor has had me on medication since that time; I started on Bromocriptine (probably misspelled) then she put me on Dostinex (i.e. cabergoline). The medication seems to work because the tumor reduced in size. She took me off the medication for three months but my prolactin levels went back up so she put me back on the medication. I hope that your Mom can take medication - she should be able too. The only catch is that it might be the rest of her life that she has to take it. But God is still in control and could work a miracle. Keep your chin up - everything will be ok!