I was told my prolactin was 82. I was started on Dostinex and was wondering how long it would take to get pregnant. Does anyone have any information on how long it takes to start working?

my daughter has been on dostinex for approx 6 years. took several months for her levels to start going down although she wasn't ready
to get pregnant at the time. they have stayed pretty level, a couple of times went up a little and would go for a repeat mri. she went off the pill
last april and really had a hard time regulating her cycle, different ideas from her endocronologist and her ob/gyn, but she has just announced that she is 7 1/2 weeks pregnant (yeah!). her dostinex is being decreased during her pregnancy and she is to see a high risk doctor during the
pregnacy. good luck.

Hi, I am a 25 year old female. I found out I had prolactinoma when I was 18 years old. I have been taking dostinex on and off for the past 5 years. I am really wanting to have a baby but i am having a hard time getting pregnant. I have been taking my dostinex consistantly for over a month and I have not yet had a cycle. Does any one have any suggestions??

@ jagrnc

I have read your post and my wife has a similar issue with your daughter. She is 9weeks pregnant now but is still taking dostinex as per endocrinologist's advice though her OB is not totally convinced with it. Now, we are worried about this dostinex matter, so I would just like to know, if it is not too much to ask, what is the update with your daughter now? and the baby?
Thanks and hoping to read from you soon.

hi, i just start taking dostinex, and my doctors ask me to take it for 3month and i want to get pregnent and i belived that it we work for me. i till need you people help?pls and best regard to you .

In 2008 October, I started taking Dostinex because I too have a hyperprolactemia (tumor in the pituatary gland). I was told that it could take up to a year to get pregnant, and to be patient. 8 1/2 weeks later, we were pregnant. When I found out I was pregnant (in Dec 2008) I was told to stop the Dostinex because it could be harmful to the baby. I stopped the Dostinex. I am now currently trying to conceive again, and I am going to start a new round of Dostinex in March 2010. (I tried 3 rounds of Clomid unsucessfully) so I going back to old faithful. I had to wait until I was finished breastfeeding, since Dostinex reduces prolactin (the same hormone responsible for milk production - thus the reason why I tried Clomid.) Good luck to all you trying to conceive. Baby Dust to everyone. Wish us luck too, since this will be month four of TTC.

HI I AM A NEW USER TO THIS BUT I HAVE BEEN TAKING DOSTINEX FOR 6 MONTHS NOW AND MY PROLACTINE LEVEL WAS AT 386 AND NOW ITS DROPPED DOWN TO 52 SO IM HOPING I CAN CONCIEVE SOON BECAUSE ME AND MY HUSBAND HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR 3 YEARS NOW AFTER MY FIRST BORN TURNED ONE BUT MY FAITH IS ALL IN GOD!!! :-D

Hello everyone, thanks for all of you stories they have compelled me to share... My husband and I really want a baby and have been trying for 11 years. I am 30 years old now and a worried that it will never happen. I have been on Dostinex for 1 month and there aren't any signs of a menstrual cycle. I don't have any tumors, Thank God, but I have had elevated prolactin levels for 11-12 years. I have an appointment to see my Endocrinologist next week to check my levels.... I'll keep you all posted.[url]

Hello

I know it's kind of late to reply but I've just seen your post while searching on the net. I'm 40 years old and have been dealing with high prolactin level (between 100 - 140) for 9 years now. When first detected , I used Parlodel and got pregnant 9 months later but I had a miscarriage. Then my new gyno put me on Dostinex and then got pregnant but lost the baby again. After every miscarriage, my prolactin level got high up again. A four-weeks-treatment with Dostinex was enough to keep my level down for 4 months only. I had lost all my hope for a baby and decided that I could go on my life without it. Then, as soon as I gave up, I got pregnant. Gave birth to my doughter at age 36. Now she is 4,5. I'm still on Dostinex. This time, I'm seeing an Endrochronologist (spl?) and she put me on it continiously. I feel much better . Having much less migrane attacks, skin problems, etc.

I just wanted to tell you that you are still so young to be worried for not having a baby. You are not late for anything. Worrying makes it even harder to get pregnant. When you feel relaxed and deeply believe that everything will be alright in the near future, your body will be relaxed, too.

By the way, my misscarriages did not have anything to do either with my prolactin level, or with Dostinex. They were caused by some genetic problems coming from my husbands side (balanced translocation).

So, good luck with everything. I believe everything will be alright for you in the future...

how long it takes the medication work is individulized, TTC for 3yrs and have been going to fertility center for 2yrs on/off. Decided in June to go through with IVF cycle (after trying clomid and IUI twice) and was told my prolactin level was eleveted at 68. IVF cycle cancelled and was started on dostinex (post  MRI) on very low dose 2x/wk. Went back a week later for post level, was told the level is ok and to call on first day of period which never came, i got pregnant the same month. I am about 4wks pregnant as per the HCG level. hope this helps. Good luck

I was diagnosed with hyperprolactenimea in 2002 after 5 years of hell and 2 years in a major depression. turns out I have a pituitary tumor causing elevated prolactin, thus disrupting all the hormones in my body. Which in turns meant I was not ovulating. I started taking dostinex in august of that year and got pregnant in feb the year after. It took about 6 months for all my hormones to balance out. I was told to stop dostinex during pregnancy but this was 7 years ago. Things change and research improves, so check with a good resource like mother risk. They have all the info to help you make a decision on continuing dostinex or not during pregnancy.

When I stop taking dostinex I get my period have I tried this.?

Hello everyone,

I have been researching into having children eventhough I have had a pituitary tumor since I was 8 years old. I am currently 26 and starting to ask the hard questions. I had the hardest time with my cycle my entire life and was put on birth control for the pain and development of hormonal tumors. Shortly after being on birth control, I have found that I was allergic to birth control and am still currently recovering from getting the artificial hormones out of my system. I'm nervous about what the chances are of becoming pregnant as my boyfriend and I are reaching our 4 year anniversary. I have heard many people having the tumor after becoming pregnant or while being pregnant, but for me, I have delt with this my entire life. I was a late bloomer because of the size of my tumor. I had a tumor the size of a half dollar which was a major part of my body not reacting to the natural maturing of female hormones and organs. My fear is not being able to conceive, but my endocronologist has the highest hopes in the future. I'm slowly learning others have the same issues with periods and concerns for having families, after being diagnosed with this tumor, but if anyone has any advice, please email me. I am so excited for all who have had the chance to have children. I hope the fact that I have been on dostinex for 18 years will not interfere with having children.

Again if you have any advice,let me know.

Thanks you,

Michelle

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

am also using this tablet ,bt sister plz stop taking this when ever u r pregnent because it lead to lower the prolactin level which is very much useful for a pregnant lady...it is clearly stated in the leaflet of the tablet

Hello there same store but I do have a tumor I went thru radiation now just taking cabgergoline and in hope's of a period one Day again it's been several year's I'm scared it won't happen for him I pray it's in God card's for us prayer's up my prolactin levels was 600 now 300 I Do three month check ups hopefully it keeps getting lower normal My Doctor say between 25-50 so hopefully it happens soon I'm praying for each and everyone of us Amen