I have PTSD diagnosed 2 years ago. I have had bipolar disorder since 1998. I am stressed to the max for 4 months now due to grieving for the loss of loved ones who passed away 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008. Also with work, I went from full time teacher aide to a substitute a month ago. My mother just got married at 67 years of age in Las Vegas. Stress load is killing me. I see a therapist for bipolar but really don't address PTSD. Does anyone else have the combination of bipolar and PTSD?

Are you taking any medications for bipolar? There is no universal  treatment for PTSD, unlike bipolar, the fact is that you should, in your therapy sessions, be more focused on dealing with grief and stressful events that led to PTSD symptoms than the symptoms of bipolar disorder because bipolar symptoms are mainly controlled by medication and in order for your PTSD symptoms to get better, you need to go fully through the grieving process and address and learn to cope with all the stress. Have you asked your therapist directly about the way the treatment is going?

Yes I take Seroquel, Lamictal, Cymbalta, Abilify, and Cogentin. Abilify was recently added AGAIN at 7.5 mg which I hate the side effects so Cogentin was added to treat those. I'd much rather take the first three.  I agree the grieving process and coping mechanisms need to be addressed. With bipolar, I am cycling right now. I've gone from social butterfly to never want to go to work in a matter of three weeks. I just want to find the happy medium. I was hospitalized 2 1/2 years ago for 9 days after my amazing honeymoon. Weird timing. Still don't know how to deal with the loss of my Dad, my ex-husband, my daughter's biological father, and my two year old nephew all died. I am trying to accept this. I have moved on but still in pain.

I could not notice the number of medications you are on - yes, they all are more or less in place, but all of them can have serious side effects and interactions and if you have the chance, it definitely would be a good idea to reassess if you need four different medications to control bipolar symptoms (and you say that moods are still cycling) and one antidepressant. I'm so sorry for your losses, and it is not unexpected or strange for you to still feel the pain after all this has happened - this is something where no medication can help, it's the learning to live with grief and moving past it that helps. Have you ever tried visiting support groups for people who have lost their loved ones? Or one to one grief therapy?

One person takes care of my medications who I trust and have worked with for 12 years. Problem is side effects for sure are tough, yet I find that I am slowing dowm from being hypomanic. I am working on Acceptance of my losses with a therapist. It's stress that drives the mania which has built up over 5 years. My mom married a great guy but nobody could go to Vegas, nobody new when. It's like hey I am getting married but I don't want you there or to make any plans for a reception. I am glad she has moved on. I hate how they are remodeling my house, my Dad's house, so it won't be the same. Wish they would have found their own place. As with my daughter's biological Dad, he was paralyzed atfter a roll over in a work truck. 18 months of therapy, was coming home December 21 permanently. He died of a heart attack the 20th. My daughter was 5 years old. My ex-husband and I remained friends after our divorce in 1999. He died of Huntingtons Disease in 2006. I spent the last night of his life with him. That's part of the story.....   

Yes, I do. I have been living with PTSD since 16. I am 35 now. I was diagnosed with bipolar at 18. However, I have been living with all of this years earlier. I too have had a lot of loss over the past several years. Stress is so dangerous and I am engulfed in it. I feel probably to the max at this point in life. I'm not sure what to do. I seem to have always pulled through, but I am completely overwhelmed physically, emotionally, mentally and am constantly just trying to figure out how to get through a day to pay the bills. I'm sorry. I just needed to write. But wow, I could go on and on. If you every need to talk, I'm here. I do think I am wise and very educated in this area, but very alone.