What should be the ideal diameter of lateral ventricles for a 22 weeks fetal?? Our report says it is 8 m and it is within normal limits. But I have been told that it is on higher side and it leads to underdevelopment of child's brain and the kid would not be normalSo please reply for that.

I just had a prenatal ultrasound and my doctor reports the lateral ventricle measures up to 10 mm which is normal. He is pretty confident about this but I still did a medline search. The upper normal is 10 mm. I also found a study that says 10 mm is too low a cutoff and it should really be 12 mm which is 4 SD up. I was also told that my baby's 3rd ventricle is seems in a high position but maybe a normal variant but difficult to exclude agenesis or hypogenesis of the corpus callosum. Has anyone encountered this prenatal findings before?

May 20, 08 received 18 wk U/S results. OB said vein in baby's brain was a "normal variant" or upper end of normal, at 10mm. He has scheduled another U/S for next week to ensure that the size does not get larger. He told me not to panic, that he had many patients with this and their outcomes were all fine. But still I have been searching online and have found both troubling and very positive information.
Several studies show that babies born with 10-12mm have a 97% chance of being completely normal, also 75% of these cases are boys and they have a very favourable outcome. I would appreciate any additional info as well.

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my recent ultrasound shows that my baby's lateral ventricle size is 10 mm which is the upper limit of normal.doctor advised me to Rescan after 4 weeks.I'm very concerned about it. i also find it on net and find that:

Unilateral ventriculomegaly (enlargement of the fluid filled spaces in the brain) with a measurement in the lateral venticle of 10 mm can be normal if the ventricle does not continue to enlarge and no other abnormalities are found.

The size of the ventricle is usually followed using more ultrasounds to evaluate for any continuing change in size. If the size of the ventricle stays stableStable , baby is unlikely to have any problems.

kindly share with me if there is any other information u found. thanks

promince of posterior orn of latral ventical bilatrally
mild isolated colpocephaly what is fate of this condition in 26 th week of pregnecy

I have a friend who is about 27 or so who has Hydrocephalus. This is a disorder from the fluid in the brain making the ventricle large. It is somewhat of a concern if the baby's ventricle passes 15mm because this disorder can be severe. However, the only thing I've ever noticed wrong with my friend is, he has a scar on his left side of his head( from surgically removing the excess fluid), his left arm is slightly underdeveloped and his left leg is about two inches shorter. He walks with a slight limp. BUT.... He played football his whole high school career along with ROTC. He maintained decent grades and he has three beautiful children! My doctor has been keeping an eye on my baby's brain growth as well, he said they can do some procedure while the baby is still inside. So that is comforting as well. Good Luck!

I am 29 weeks pregnant ..At arounnd 21 weeks my each sonography report was fine.but yestersay i have done 4d sonography and doc said that my child left and right LV meausrment is 12.3 and 12.6 mm.
He said that my csp and corpus callosum is not imaged satisfactory during 29 week of pregnancy.
Doctor said there are lot of possibility for some brain damage function of my child.
I am really very worried. Please if u all tell something about this?

My child had the same issue. We were told there was a chance of 20 % of chance of mental problems. He is now eleven years old and has severe mental retardation. Listen to you doctor

I am a 23 weeks pregnant woman. Doctor said my baby had dilated LT. lateral ventricle 12.2. I am very much worried about this. Do my baby live long or what can i do for him?

My advise is ask to your doctor. Also ask other doctors. Get information from others sources There are many things to take in consideration, and all cases are different. Once you have all the information take a decision