Hello. I had a lateral release 2 1/2 weeks ago and am still very swollen. In addition I had chondroplasty, microfracture and debridement. My PT said she has never seen a knee this swollen before. I also had severe bruising with a continuous dark purple bruise from my IT band to the entire back of my thigh up to the top of the thigh. My calf is very bruised as well. A week ago they had me get a ultrasound for a DVT but it was negative. I have been using arnica gel and tabs and the swelling has gone down and the bruising has improved but my knee is still very swollen and goes just to 110 deg flexion and -10 deg extension due to swelling. Most of the swelling is on the lateral side of the knee from the release. Has this happened to anyone else and how much longer should I expect to be swollen? Pain is ok-- just stiff, swollen and have decresed rom.

Had Lateral release back in 2003. A large amount of swelling, PT had same reaction. Took about 10 weeks after surgery for knee to look anywhere near normal.

About 6 months able to resume full activity including sports but after activity swelling did occur.
Did not have microfacture.

Hi, I just had a lateral release 2 weeks ago and have similar symptoms as you. Horrible bruising all up and down the leg, including the back of the leg. My PT had the same reaction as yours. I still have tons of swelling and very limited ROM. My surgeon said this is all "normal" and told me to expect it.
Good luck, hope you are great now, this is horrible!!! :-(

I am 8 weeks out from an IT B and Release and I still have major swelling and pain. My surgeon said I would be back running in 8 weeks but i'm lucky to walk 2 blocks without having to take the rest of the day off. I waited a year for my IT to get better before opting for surgery.