I am now 25 weeks pregnant and during my last ultrasound check up yesterday and some abnormal brain images was found out and anyway I will be having today another ultrasound test for my doc is suspecting on septum pellucidum absence and I am so terrified with this findings and no matter how much I wanted this child I have already started thinking is septum pellucidun absence a reason good enough not to have it regarding possible septum pellucidum absence complications?

If I were you I would think this twice and though I now how hard such decision could be I would always chose opt not giving the birth to a child already diagnosed this way as a fetus. I dislike saying this but my good friend is now having 24 months old son that was recognized with septum pellucidium absence while he was fetus and this basically means he was in lack of some important brain membrane layer which condition is actually very common in septo-optic dysplasia condition –and he is now already faced with its very common symptoms such as retardation and delayed mental development that could be accompanied with blindness, seizures and hormonal problems so it is up to you to decide over this for I am positive septum pellucidium absence prognoses are not good at all.

I know this is an old post but I feel the need to leave my two cents. My 3 year old son has recently been diagnosed with septo optic dysplasia. The only reason we found out about it is b/c he had what appeared to be a lazy eye. The Ophthalmologist diagnosed it as Optic Nerve Hypoplasia. He ordered an MRI to check for midline brain defects. I just found out today that the septum pellucidum is absent. My child has not shown ANY learning difficulties. He has some problems with vision in his left eye but is otherwise perfect. My point is, I do not believe that the absence of the septum pellucidum is reason enough to abort a baby that could be perfectly healthy.

I also have a son who was diagnosed with absent saeptum pellucidum at birth. He is 10 weeks old now and reaching all his milestones early, has had regular eye checkis and has no current eye problems so my baby is perfectly normal if even better!!! I would definetly say not to abort any baby with this as it can mean nothing, also anti-natal scans can be mis-leading, your baby may actually have a septum pellucidum, these people make mistakes all the time.

I have just been diagnosed (aged 43) as having septo pellucidum absent after an MRI scan. They say I have probably had this since birth.
The only problem I have had all my life is minor problems with colour differentiation in one eye. No big deal. Certainly no reason to abort a fetus.

I see that this is an old topic; however, I found these posts today when Googling "Septum Pellucidum" and feel strongly about relating my own experience in case anyone else considers aborting a fetus with "absent" SP.

I am forty-eight years old, and have a total absence of the septum pellucidum. I have no visual or other known brain abnormalities; actually, at the age of seventeen, my IQ was tested as being 145 and I went on to graduate in the top of my class in both high school and in college, the latter while as a single parent with four children under the age of seven. Additionally, as a child I performed with a major symphony orchestra between the ages of 10-17, and as an adult am also a critical care (ICU) RN.

Obviously, this means that there is a possibility of a wide range of symptoms or even no symptoms at all in individuals with an absence of SP, and I would not consider aborting a potentially "imperfect" baby due to such a finding.

To the guest who posted on septum pelluicidum, I think that it's great that you posted on this because I think that people don't always consider that there might not be an issue. I don't think a lot of parents would choose to abort a fetus even if it's possibly 'imperfect' somehow so I'm glad you shared your experience here. Thanks for posting! Can you tell me about when you were diagnosed with an absence of SP?

10 days ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl who is absolutely perfect in every way. We had no idea that anything was wrong with her until 5 days before her birth when an ultra sound detected Dandy Walker malformation in her brain and suspected Septum pellucidum absence. After her birth an MRI confirmed both of these findings. So far she is perfectly healthy. And even if she develops symptoms from either of these problems, she will still be perfect to us! Her value in our life goes far beyond whether or not she is "normal". That's not to say we haven't shed some tears, but I don't think we could possibly love her more than we do! We hope for the best, but we are willing to accept what ever come her way!

I would just like to update here, even though this is a very old post. I am the guest who posted about my baby on 12/24/08. As there is not much info on the net about Absent septum Pellucidum I would just like to let everyone know how my little boy is getting on. My baby is now 17 months old, he is the most important thing in my life and I love him more than anything or anyone else. He is perfect, walking, talking, running around has the energy of any other baby. He is of average height and weight (which can be a problem for babys with ASP as the piruitry gland can be missing), has had hormone tests which are all normal. He has also had eye checks every 3 months since birth to check his eyes are functioning well and ones to check that signals are being sent to the brain also. The last time we went, 2 months ago I was told that they didn't need to see him for another year as he was scoring above his age in all areas. He also goes to the pedeatric clinic every 3 months to have his development monitored, there has not been 1 single concern raised so far, last time at 12 months they told me they didnt want to see him for 6 months this time as he is doing great. He has his next appointment on 16th March and I have no worries as I know he is functioning for his age or above anyway. I think this should give some hope to mums or pregnant mums who are going through the same as what I did. When I was pregnant and this was found I was told that I should think about aborting as the chances are that my baby would not live and if he did would probably be in a vegatitive state. I did not as I new I would love and support my baby no matter what and I do not agree in abortion (that is just my opinion). I will continue to post on how my son is doing in the future as I say there is no information that I have found on the net that is about Absent Septum Pellucidum alone, most info is about children with SOD, which as yet I believe my son does not have, or chiari ii malformation etc.. Hope this helps someone.

Laura

I am glad that you chose to have your little one. I am 25 and have my Septum Pellucidum missing and I ran track, played tennis and was honors in school. with 20/20 vision! :-)

I would like to thank you all to give us hope...I am a new mom, my baby girl was born on the 27th week with only 680 gramm. I had bacterium in my water...for 2 weeks she was doing soooo good in the incubator, when they told us just yesterday she might have a mild case of asp...We cried and cried and cried, I did some research when I found this really encouraging notes...thank you all ...Dora

I'm mother of a baby girl of 6 months old. She's fantastic, she's my life! After an ultra sound check at my 22th week pregnancy, they told us about the absence of SP. Today I can't go to those times without making me shudder. Nobody knows enough about that, as an isolate finding, except that could be a signal of more serious conditions like SOD or HPE. Everything has been confused, obscure, vague and painful. Pregnancy should be a serene and happy period in a woman’s life.. and it’s been hard trying not to lose heart: I cried all my tears, going trought periodic medical checks, prayers and hopes, trying to think at my baby as she was already a real person. And now she’s smiling, crying and growing up, normally and cheerfully. We’re also going on with checks, for her development, and always with a little of fear, but she’s the one who can give us courage. I remember perfectly the moment I decided to keep her with me: if I had hesitated now I would be nothing, I wouldn’t be a mother. At the time, I’ve been looking about SP agenesys everyday on the web, without finding enough answers at my doubts. For the first time, I’m reading about people who lives this conditions and I’m so glad to understand they have lived their life, normally! Thank you for let us know. Caterina (from Italy)

I have a son with an absent septum pellucidum
I have googled this so many times and only come up with medical papers which talk about everything which can be wrong, but no stories like yours of real babies and people who grow up with an absent septum pellucidum.
When I was pregant they found that the baby's ventricles were enlarged (about 12mm) and they told us of all sorts of serious outcomes. After doing some research we learned that isolated ventriculomegaly does not have a bad prognosis (80% turn out fine), and on the forum I have been following there are lots of parents with good outcomes (http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/encyclopedia/Babies/Ventriculomegaly&page=1)
We decided to go through with the pregnancy, and I am so glad we did. Our son is now 2 years old and perfect in every way. He had an ultrasound after birth which showed that the cause of the ventricles appearing enlarged was the missing septum pellucidum. I think as parents we worry too much about our kids being perfect. We are all different, and who knows what life will bring anyway. I have heard so many stories with parents who have children who have a medical condition, but they love them just the same. Things do not always turn out the way we expect them to.
I am thankful for finding this forum, and I hope others in the same situation will find this information useful. I know how stressful it is to be pregnant when you worry about your baby or face the impossible situation of considering termination.

I am 28 weeks pregnant and my son was diagnosed with absence septum pellucidium and enlarged ventricles. We have been through so many doctors appts in the last few weeks. It has gone from an original lobar hpe diagnosis to this after an MRI. There is basically no information out there on this condition and what the realistic outcome is. Any help would be a big help.

My son is 17 years old and has been suffering from headaches. We went to the ER and they ordered a catscan. They found that he has no septum pellucidum. He has lived a very normal life except that he is dyslexic. I can not find anything online that may link the 2 conditions. They also did bloodwork and found that some of it was not exactly right. He has had headaches for several years almost always behind his eyes and to his temples. I've had his eyes checked several times and he has always had perfect vision until just a few days ago.. now everything 5 to 10 feet away from him is blurry. He is also seeing halos around lights. I know that this is an old post, but seeing that several people with absent septum pellucidum have posted.. I had hoped to see if any of you have ever had any of these symptoms?