Hello, guys. I had a delivery several weeks ago. Unfortunately, my baby suffered a stroke during delivery. I won’t explain here about the pain I am suffering. I would just like to know about possible causes. I would be very grateful for any piece of info. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello. I am so sorry to hear that. The delivery period is very sensitive for both mother and infant. The stroke of a newborn is probably caused by coagulation mechanisms activation. There are other possible reasons. Cardiac disorders, infection, maternal and placental disorders, dehydration, birth asphyxia, vasculopathy, trauma factors and others are some of possible reasons. Pretty often no reason can be determined. You should talk to your obstetrician about this. He will be able to tell you more. Again, I am very sorry for your loss. Bye!

My son Noah is 9 months. He also had a stroke in utero or during delivery. As you have learned, there is no way to tell when it occured. Noah's stroke was on his right temporal lobe and luckily was very small. He was having seizures after birth, but has not had any more since his first week of life. So far he is developing normally and is even crawling!!! I was heartbroken for a long time, but have been able to come to terms with the situation and now I am extremely thankful that the stroke wasn't worse and that Noah doesn't have a progressive disease. I have learned so much in our journey, and I would like to be of some help and offer you support and advice in yours. Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

I certainly know what you are going through our baby too suffered a stroke before or during delivery at the occipiatal lobe. We were given the worst prognosis & were terrified for the future. As it turns out our baby is now 18mths old & as of yet the what the hospitals predicted hasn't come true at all. We have been signed out of physiotherapy & development sessions at the hospital. We still go for regular eye tests but as of yet baby is fine, going from strength to strength & truly blossoming & developing in every possible way. Hope your baby is o.k like ours, just believe & love baby in every possible way. it is very hard & we too are anxious parents but have a much clearer outlook now baby is at 18mths.
We still don't know the future but are happy with the present.
God bless you.

Hi there

My comment is similar to the parent's above. I have an 18mth old baby boy who also suffered a stroke either in the last stages of pregnancy or during birth. At 6 days old he was fitting on the whole left side of his body and face, and was admitted to hospital for a week, during which time he had a CT scan, MRI, lumbar puncture and was also treated for Meningitis (as a precaution because they didn't know what was wrong) The results from the MRI showed he had suffered a stroke. To cut a long story short they diagnosed him as having Stenosis (tightening) of the Middle Cerebral Artery and predicted he would suffer at worse Left sided weakness. This I would start to notice from when he was about 5 mths old. I am very happy to say I haven't noticed a trace of any weakness anywhere, he is the busiest, bumpiest, brightest boy I have, he is the youngest of my 4 sons. He has to take Aspirin every day which I sprinkle on his breakfast, this is the treatment the Doctor's have decided is the best way forward for now and he will have to take this for life. He has just had his 4th MRI Scan and this is just to check if anything has changed and that he is not suffering anything undetected. He will continue to have 6 monthly MRI's reducing to yearly and maybe less often as he gets older. I too have been where you are wondering if he will be ok and what the future may hold. Reading bits on the internet and making myself worry even more. I just want to say don't think the worst like I did, as it maybe unfounded. Just take each day and each Doctor's appointment as it comes, and most importantly stay positive. I try not to even think about my son's condition, the risk of stroke will always be there as the thinned artery was the cause of the stroke, but I refuse to pay it any attention unless I really have to, otherwise I would drive myself crazy with what if's and worry. I wish you and your family all the best and hope everything turns out well for your baby.

HI, I TOO HAVE JUST HAD A BABY BOY,WHO AFTER 15 HOURS TURNED BLUE AND BEGAN FITTING.HE WAS RUSHED TO ICU AND TOLD THAT HE WAS FITTING CONSTANTLY.AFTER A WEEK WE WERE TOLD THAT HE HAD SUFFERED A STROKE TO BOTH SIDES OF HIS BRAIN.I HAD NO PROBLEMS THROUGHOUT MY PREGNANCY,HOWEVER THE DOCTORS DID END UP HAVING TO USE FORECEPS TO GET MY SON OUT.HE IS NOW 7 MONTHS OLD AND DOING REALLY WELL.HE DOES HAVE A WEAKNESS ON HIS LEFT ARM AND LEG.

I know that when you are in a situation like this that it can be very painful but I want you to know that no matter what happened, it definitely was not your fault. It was more than likely the stress of the delivery, and it can happen to virtually anyone. Unfortunately, it happened to you. I hope that your child is doing well now and I appreciate any updates you have for us.

I suffered from a stroke when I was born. I have no mental problems. or physical traits of brain damage. Hope everything works out well. No mother deserves to lose a child.

I'm glad to hear that it didn't have an impact on you! I know that for a lot of cases it can be like what happened to you, so I'm glad to hear that things turned out well. Thank you for sharing your story.

hello my son was born 5 weeks premature, and either suffered a stroke or suiezer either beofre birth or while i was delievery him emerengcy c section, he wasnt breathing when he was born and was in the nicu for 5 weeks, they noticed him chewing on his breathing tube and wanted to do a mri but he had to be breathing on his own to move him to do the mri, the mri showed he had bleeding on his left side of his brain, right now he is almost 6 months old and he still had a tight muscle tone which we have a physcial therapist helping him along, he is still trying to reach each milestone and is getting there alittle slower than a normal baby his age. right now he is also going to a eye dr because we have noticed his eye is getting crossed, and the dr believes its from a lack of oxygen when he was born and he has to have muscle corrective surgrey, its been a tough time since he came home from the nicu at 2 months, but he is getting stronger each day and hopefully one day he will be as normal as everyone else

In regards to the posts about strokes in babies. My wife and I are going through the same thing. we just found out our 6 month old son may have a had a stroke either in delivery our in the womb. No way to tell. What I'm wondering is if anybody can tell me how their progress is coming with the tight fist a baby makes when there is damage to the brain. Our son favors one hand over the other. Just wondering if anybody has had these symptons and if they have made progress with there child. Just looking for some encouraging words and as everybody else is......
Thanks

Hi, our son also had a stroke 6 hours after he was born naturally, induced but no help of forceps or anything. He stopped breathing and this kept happening every 10 minute and was rushed to nicu. This continued for a couple of days and the doctors didn't know why, they found out a few days later after seizure meds and an MRI that he had a bleed on the front right side of his brain, which was causing seizure that would stop his breathing. We were told that they couldn't tell us the extend of the damage and that he could have weakness down the whole left side. it was a very scary time especially the unknown. We then began having Physio and occcupational therapy and he was on anti sezuire medication for 6 months. At four months he had to have an angiogram on his brain to see if there was a malformation and chance of it happening again. We chose to have the procedure done even though it also caused a risk of stroke. Our son did hold his left hand fisted and his legs and hips were a bit stiff, he didn't crawl until 11 1/2 months. And needed OT and Physio to help him with this, but the older he has got the more he has improved, i believe the early intervention has played a big part in this. Although he didn't crawl till late he began walking at 13 1/2 months. He has also been swimming since 8 months which i believe has helped his strength. He is now about to turn 2 and is doing extremely well. Also developing very well cognitively and his language development is above average. Desipite being told that he may have learning difficulties. We love him so much and believe that love and nurturing has also helped our special little man and everything that has happened to him has made him all that more special. I am now due to give birth in a few weeks to our second child and am feeling a little nervous about it all and have to make the decision about which way we will go with the birth.

Hi, my baby was born at 36 weeks and I was told she had a stroke inside of me on the right side of the brain, and another one after delivery on the left side (less severe) of the brain. She is now just over a month old and seems to be doing well (moving all limbs, breastfeeding well), but I was told everything will happen in time, by the doctors. We were in NICU for 4 weeks they did an MRI and basically told us that she won't be able to walk, she will be in a wheelchair, blind, left side would all be affected and will have cognitive issues. This news was so hard to hear for my husband and I. I think we are still in shock and are scared of what could happen in the future. I am starting to get info for physio etc so I can help her at an early age, hoping she can prove the doctors wrong!

hi there,

my baby girl was over due and my labour was very difficult at 27 hours. Our daughter had a stroke at 10 days of age and she was in ICU for 3 weeks. Countless MRI's and scans showed a clot that pretty much covered her brain plus bleeding. We were told that she would have a 30% chance of survival. She was put on Heprin (blood thinner) to help clear the clot. We were told that she would never walk and would have issues talking. As you can imagine, hearing the news was devastating and so hard to take in.
We started physio and hydrotherapy straight away and 9 months down the track, she is doing great, meeting all her milestones so far!!!
she has just started commando crawling and the pediatrician estimates she will be walking by 16 months.
Babies are amazing and tough as nails and I'm looking forward to the day that our daughter can walk into the hospital and say "i told you so"!!!