I am posting this for women who have been diagnosed with a missed abortion/miscarriage. I too was told that my embryo was approximately at 8 weeks gestational age when my pregnancy dated over 10 weeks.

Being 42, i was referred by my ob/gyn to a genetic counselor/perinatal clinic. When i went in for my first appointment, an abdominal ultrasound was performed. The technician could not find the heartbeat, so an intra-vaginal device was used. No heartbeat could be detected and the fetus measured small for the gestational age. I was told to wait a week and return for another ultrasound, but that the pregnancy did not appear to be viable. I was also told to call my doctor if i started bleeding.

I had a very early miscarriage two years prior. It is likely that the embryo did not even implant. We were attempting pregnancy, so i performed a home test on the date my period was due. Four days later, i passed a miniscule embryo about the size of a hangnail with a small amount of blood. Over the next day I had what I would refer to as a bad period. Since I had this experience, I assumed that another miscarriage would be similar. What is disturbing is that the doctor (who appeared to be very young) made no attempt to prepare me for what would happen during a natural miscarriage. In fact, the technician and the doctor broke the news to me as though they were afraid of my reaction versus what i needed to hear - the truth and what to expect. At the time of the ultrasound, I was told that the embryo was tiny, about the size of a grain of rice. While this might have been true, i was not told about the rest of the products of conception, so when i started to spot, and since it was the weekend, i decided to just let it pass naturally. If i had been properly informed, i probably would not have chosen this option.

When i first learned about the embryonic death and prior to spotting, i scoured the web looking for specific information about the experience. Although i thought i knew what to expect, i needed to refresh my memory. I couldn't find any information of real use. I found a lot of posts referring to the emotional aspects (and they are very real), but nothing about the physical. I am posting the below to help anyone out there make an informed decision about whether to miscarry naturally or to have a d&c. My experience is of course my own and every person is different. I am only sharing this with you to share what happened to me. You should always follow your doctor's advice (if you are lucky enough to actually get any).

My physical experience:

Ultrasound day - not a viable fetus.

Day three - spotting/light bleeding/cramping

Day four - same

Day five (very graphic): Heavier cramping beginning in am. Passing large clots and tissue on pad. (Saving for pathologist (freeze in plastic bag). This continues until 2 pm.

2pm day five: EXCRUCIATING PAIN. Cold sweats. Spasmodic pain lasting 15 minutes with only 5 minute intervals of less pain. Vomiting, passing blood and material the size of my fist. This continues until 11 pm when i believed the last was over.

Day six - Very groggy. Thank god the pain is over. Serious pain for 12 hours on day five. Still can't get moving.

1 pm day six - go to bathroom and pass urine. Shortly thereafter, i pass the gestational sac (didn't know this was coming) with little pain. The sac was about 3" long ( which seemed large given the embryo was supposed to be the size of a grain of rice).

day six onward - light spotting/minor bleeding, small amounts of remaining tissue. Very little pain, but extremely exhausted and sore.

This happened ten days ago. My body miscarried the products of conception and the embryo without side effects (a benefit of considering natural versus d&c). I am still waiting to hear the cause of the miscarriage.

Of course, i have all of the emotions and reactions that are mentioned here and on other sites and the emotional experience alone is devastating. However, no one really ever speaks, in detail, about the physical experience ( like society feels that miscarriage is somehow taboo).

I wanted to share my personal experience so that if you are faced with making a decision, that you might have just a glimpse into what might happen physically. I realize that this information was graphic and I apologize if i have scared or offended anyone. I survived physically, but if i had known how progressively worse the experience would get, i would have gone to the emergency room and opted for a d&c. I am also finding very difficult to get the images out of my head. My husband is also recovering from being my caregiver throughout the ordeal. Just another thing to consider.

Thank you for your post. It was EXACTLY what I have needed to read. Does anyone know WHY the gestational sac is so much larger than the size of the embryo?
I was diagnosed as having a "missed abortion" (no heartbeat) on July 2nd (I should have been about 10 weeks, but length was about 8 weeks [1.75 cm]), and was advised to get a D&C. After much upset and argument with my (completely un helpful, dishonest) doctor, I chose to see another obgyn who told me ALL of my options-not just D&C. I chose to wait it out for a few weeks to see if I miscarried naturally, and when that didn't happen I took Misoprostil to help induce miscarriage (also used to induce labor AND abortion).

This process was full of extreme cramping, nausea, and heavy bleeding for the first 12-14 hours. The next day I felt much better, and assumed I had "passed" everything that was supposed to come out, although all I remember (through all the pain meds) is lots and lots of blood.

But the day I felt better the same thing happened to me as the previous post. I sat on the toilet to pee, and when I was done, all of a sudden, this (what I deem to be) huge thing just fell out of me. It didn't hurt at all, it just slipped right out. It looked to be, as you say, about 3 inches in diameter, it was obviously a sac, and it looked almost black/gray and reddish.

This was about 1 week and 2 days ago. I have been bleeding (lightly) since then, and I went back to the (good) doctor today for a final check up to make sure everything was expelled. She said everything was gone, but when I told her about the size of the sac that had come out she was surprised and said that a sac that size is more like 12 weeks (which is how long I should have been pregnant). I asked if the sac can keep growing even when the embryo has stopped and she said it is possible. She seemed very unconcerned about this, but I am now sitting here wondering how normal this is.

Does anyone know how common it is for a gestational sac to be larger in size than an embryo? Does is keep growing even when the embryo has stopped during a missed abortion?

I'm sorry for anyone else who has experienced this, but thank you for your post(s), because it is so helpful when you find the right one.

I wanted to give another perspective on miscarriage. I too could not find any good information on what the "process" would be like. Not all are as painful as the other poster described. I was diagnosed at 11 weeks with a missed abortion. The fetus stopped growing at 7 weeks. I wanted a d/c right away but the hospital couldn't schedule me for a week. Before a week, I ended up miscarrying naturally. This was my fourth pregnancy. I have three kids. I would describe my experience as a mini-labor. It started with light spotting similar to the bloody show you have before labor beings. About 3 hours later I started having cramps, or contractions about every 2 to 3 minutes. This lasted for four hours. I had one really long hard contraction and then felt a pop and jumped out of bed to head to the toilet. A sudden rush of fluid like water breaking, then tissue and blood started passing. There is a lot, and the pieces are big. Don't let anyone convince you its not a lot of blood and material. The passing of tissue and clots and blood lasted for about three hours. I did not find it overly painful, the contraction and cramps were similar to a heavy period. No pain in passing the material-it literally slides right out. Don't be surprised to be changing a super maxi pad every few minutes if you don't want to spend the hours on the toilet. My doctor told me the heavy bleeding and passing should last about 2-3 hours and then the uterus will clamp down, and she was correct. Things slowed noticeably after 2.5 hours. She also said if heavy bleeding occurred for more than 4 hours to come to the emergency room. I continued to have moderate to light bleeding for about another 10 days, much like after giving birth. If facing the situation again, I think I would choose to let it happen naturally. It is traumatic, but so is surgery, but I also think you get more closer on dealing with the loss of the pregnancy. You are also in the comfort of your own home. Hope this helps.

I have been scouring the internet. I thought I was pregnant but began spotting right away with a heavier couple days followed by weeks of spotting. Started bleeding Sunday and heavier today. Like you said things have been sliding out but the sac really threw me. Didn't know what it was and was a bit upsetting. Since large 3" pieces of tissue every so often. All this information is so helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Hi there, I have 4 yr old little boy, last year i fell pregnant, when i went to my 9 week ultrasound there was a sac but nothing inside! I didnt uknow what they were talking about! I had bloodtests over a week to determine if my hcg levels were going up, and they werent, i had a d&c, the doctor told me to wait at least 3 months before trying again. I think that because we were trying too hard it took me a year to fall pregnant, sure enough a year to the date later i was pregnant. Everything was going well, so i thought, until i went to my 10 week ultrasound , last week, the ame story, a sac no foetus!! This week i'm doing bloodtests AGAIN to check my hcg levels, but i know that it's hopeless. I was supposed to be 10 weeks but the sac was the sze of a 7 week old one. My husband and i are devastated once more, i guess this time more than the 1st, who would think that it could happen twice in a row, but it happens and im leaving proof. It is also good to know that there are other women out there that are going through the same thing others worse!
Thanks for listenning....

Last year I was pregnant and at my 12 week check up they couldn't find a heartbeat and did several different types of ultrasound. My baby had stopped developing at 9 weeks. They had me in for a D&C the very same day. It was devastating. All the doctor could tell me is that I didn't want that baby, something was wrong with that baby. I have since changed doctors. It took a while to think reasonably and to stop analyzing what I could have done to cause it. I am thankful now that I had the D&C for several reasons. One, because it was over and I could heal without waiting for all to pass with a miscarriage and also because they were worried about infection. 7 months later I was pregnant again. It was very hard to not worry or dread going to the doctors to find out the same type of news. This pregnancy I couldn't enjoy. The innocense of it all was gone. Fortunatly I had very bad morning sickness. I say fortunatly because that is a sign of a healthy pregnancy and as long as I was sick I knew everything was going ok. I delivered my baby in July of this year-a healthy little boy. They could not test my first they said you have to miscarry three times in a row. I will never know what happened or if that baby was a boy or girl or what he/she would look like but at the same time to stay positive if it had not happened I would not have my special little boy. Always keep in mind that everything happenes for a reason and in the end you will be ok.

I took a pregnancy test 9/18 postive, went to the doctor October 3rd no heartbeat so they asked If I knew the exact date of my last period and I didn't but I knew within 5 days of it. So I went back October 14th no heartbeat again so they sent me to have my HCG level done and then again on Thursday October 16th the levels onl went from 19,300 to 19,900 and they said they should have doubled. They called me to come in that same day and talk to the doctor and they mentioned getting a shot of Methotrexate to help the process along. I told them I needed to think about this and read about what is happening to me. There was no mention of a D & C but I am going back tomorrow and will ask. They also mentioned Gestational trophoblastic disease so I am online doing research now.

I am 41 and have a 4 year old and thought for sure this would never happen to me. I am scared.

Thank you all your posts. I found out yesterday that I was in the middle of a miscarriage and was too upset to ask questions like "what now?". After my yearly Pap two weeks ago, I started to spot. The doctor said to expect this so I did not think anything of it. Then the brownish spotting turned bright red. I went to the Emerge just to check and it was comfirmed by an external and internal ultrasounds that the heartbeat had stopped and that the fetus was measuring small. This was tough because I had seen the heartbeat on an earlier ultrasound. Today I passed a large "clot", the size of 2 orange wedges. Sorry for the description but that is all I could think of at the time. I came online to confirm that what I passed was the actual sac/embryo. Unlike the other women, I had only mild cramping afterwards and the bleeding has slowed already. Although we have a heathly baby girl who is 8 months old, we hope to be able to try again for baby number 2. Thanks again for all your advice and information.

Thanks for all of your posts, it is very helpful to know others out there can understand what I am going through. I was pregnant with my first baby, husband and I were beyond delighted. We had seen our OB at 6 weeks 6 days, pregnancy was confirmed but no ultrasound was done. Pregnancy was going along as expected (or so we thought). Each week that passed, my husband and I read the new developements of the fetus for that week. "Our baby now has their arms and legs buds". This continued until yesterday morning, 9 weeks 2 days. I went to the bathroom and had a small amount red spotting on the TP....then a little more redish/brown spotting that was somewhat mucousy. Immediately we went to the hospital. HCG levels came back exactly where they should be for about 9 weeks pregnant. Internal exams all came back fine, cervix closed, no sign of blood. This all sounded good and our hopes went up. The doctors told us "spotting in early pregnancy can be normal, everything else looks normal, many of times these go on to be healthy pregnancies." Our anxiety eased some and our hopes continued to rise. They took me into the ultrasound room and performed a transvag US....2 MDs and a nurse, did not say a word.....but I could see something was wrong in their eyes. (I am a nurse myself....I know that look on the MDs face)" Could you be very off on your dates, your only measuring 5 weeks" they asked. I knew this absolutely was impossible to be. So, long story short they dx me with a missed abortion and expalined the baby stopped growing probably around 5-6 weeks. I was given the option to let the miscarriage happen naturally, stay and have a D&C, or take an oral med that would speed up the "process". Confused, I left and went directly to my private MD for a 3rd US and opinion, same things, same options. I left her office with the medication. Once home, I could not do it, could not take the medication. I felt like until it was over, there was some hope and I could not make that decision to end it.....so I did not take the med. I asked God to please...if this was going to be the outcome, to just let it happen naturally so I did not have to make that decision. At about 8:30 pm that night (approx. 12 hours after the first spotting) some cramping began, and by 10:30 pm I started passing blood. It has only been approximately 12 hours at this point, and things come in waves, the bleeding lightens for a while but gets pretty bad again at times with large clots.....the cramping tends to come and go as well with the worst being a little strogner than your worst period, but most of the time tolerable with a good pain tolerance.

I know this is a lot of information, but the stories I read here have helped me through this and know somewhat what to expect. So, I felt it was only right to share my story with you and hoepfully help another person who unfortunately will also go through this very very sad and scary time.

Best wishes to all of you.......

Oh - BTW, I have read a lot about tilted/tipped uterus. My uterus is very tilted....and this has nothing to do with the miscarriage for me anyway. The baby was not 'hiding' (b/c of my titled uterus) as I have read in so many places. The baby just did not deveop for some reason we might never know.

does anyone know how to get in touch with a moderator? I really need to get in touch with one as I am trying to delete a post I posted and need it deleted. It is just to painful to read and I cannot delete it. If anyone knows how to do this....or if you are a moderator, please reply to me ASAP. Thank you!

I too went in at almost 9 weeks pregnant, and there was no heartbeat. I had been going to a RE, so I had weekly sonograms and all showed a healthy, thriving baby. I chose to have a D and C, and it was much like having a very bad period afterwords. Lots of clots and felt very weak.

Four months later, the exact same thing happened....only this time I had very few cramps, and only light spotting afterwords. The difference here, is I INSISTED after the first loss for it to be tested, and all came back normal. I am waiting for the results now for the second one. My point is that this is OUR bodies, and our loss. DO NOT wait for a 3rd loss before a doctor decides to test for reasons. Insist on it, and if you have a good, reputable doctor, they will.

Hi

sorry to bother you but I am worried cause my wife (38) has had several miscarriages before and we finally got pregnant. She had early ultrasound (5, 6 and 7 weeks) and the news were good (heartbeat, viable pregnancy). She went to the doctor yesterday (week 11) and she could not ear the heartbeat with a simple doppler so she sends her tomorrow for a new U/S and dating of pregnancy. Her belly keeps growing but we are afraid that the heart stopped. Anybody with prior experience with that or any help ?

Thanks in advance

all was going well. went for 12 week sono and baby had no heart beat. baby neasured 9wk, 1 day. i conceived on aug.25th, and according to their measurements our baby died on Nov. 15th. I am a RN for 5 years now and I chose to do the leas invasive thing possible which was to have a natural m/c. I did not start to bleed until Dec. 15th. I had to have levels drawn once a week until my level is neg (<5). My levels at "12" wk check up were 8,900 then 4300, then 990, then 430. I bleed lighter than my regular period flow with some small stringy clots from dec 15-28th. I was able to use panty liners for the most part or 1 pad a day. I did not have any pain but according to my ob, during that month of the baby decomposition before i began to expell the tissues, my body can reabsorb some of the tissues. Every woman's body is different. I am glad that I had a natural m/c vs a medical surgical procedure than can potentially cause damaging scar tissues. I worked as a pedi RN for years and I am currently an OR nurse and scar tissue from a D&C was my biggest concern 1st because I did not want to potentially permanently damage my uterus and maybe cause further pregnancy or fertility problems. I also did not like the thought of having my baby torn from my body like some medical thing. I rather let God take care of it. I recommend every woman make their own choice. The biggest risk of natural is infection (it's just a risk if the cervix is open (dilated) to air for too long) and like a D&C excessive bleeding. Those are the same risk with D&C but a d&c can also cause permanent scarring, and potential to perferate (poke a whole in) the uterus. Hope this helps.

I would just like to thank everyone for their postings. I know how difficult it is to even discuss this issue, since I just had a missed abortion 5 days ago. I think this is one of the few forums that are actually helpful because of the detailed explanations that all of you were willing to share. I was eight weeks pregnant, and when I went for the ultrasound, they said that the fetus stoped developing at approximately six weeks-there was no heartbeat. The ironic part was that I had no other indications that something was wrong. I still felt pregnant-cravings, mood swings, nausea, etc. My options were to do the D and C or to be prescribed Misoprostol (the medication). I chose the medication, and after 9 hours, I had chills, cramps and I started bleeding heavily and passing what I guessed was either the sac or other tissue. The bleeding slowed down, but after what is now four days, I am still continuing to bleed--it's heavier than a "heavy" period, but without the cramps. I tried looking around on the internet to see if this is normal and if others have unfortunately experienced similar things. Emotionally, it's hard to come to terms with all of it. I just want everything to come out, but it's taking longer than I had expected. I want to be able to feel "normal" again, and once I am ready, to start planning my future.

For whoever that is reading these postings and if you are in a similar situation, please know that you are not alone. Please see your doctor and lean on family, friends, or anyone you trust to talk to. As difficult as it is right now, just take it day by day, and do not beat yourself for being emotional. One day, you will also start looking forward towards your future.

This has been so helpful. About a month ago I wasn't due for my period, but began to have cramps. Then some lite spotting, but didn't worry too much just put a pad on it and moved on. Then all of a sudden, bad cramps and heavy bleeding! Then I began to notice large chunks of tissue in the toilet. Then after a few hours I noticed a small embryo/fetus thing in the toilet. It looked like those pictures of 8 week old fetus'. Only mine was all broken up, almost like an abortion. I have been on birth control regularly and my boyfriend and I rely on that for our protection. So this post helped so much. I'm now sure I had a miscarriage.

What made me so upset about this was my bf didn't believe me and didn't give me any support.