I have had two internal ultrasounds (at 5 and 7 weeks) and everything looked fine. I have three beautiful boys already and have never had any problems with pregnancies. I went in for my 11 week check up and my doctor tried to hear the heartbeat using the Doppler. He said that it was so faint and that just when he was about to tell me that it was there, it was gone. He then did an abdominal ultrasound (to put my mind at ease) and said that he wasn't seeing what he needed to see and was concerned I may have had an early miscarriage. They then sent me over to have an internal ultrasound. Again, no fetal heartbeat was seen. The doctor told me that it must have occurred within the past couple of days because the fetus was measuring right at 11 weeks. I am scheduled for a D & C in a couple of days but am concerned. Could there have been a mistake? Will they do an ultrasound prior to the procedure just to make sure? I have not had any cramping or bleeding. I don't want to be unrealistic but have convinced myself that it just could have been a mistake and I really am still pregnant!

The same thing just happened to me... There is no mistake.... 10wks and 3days everything was well with a 168 heartbeat of the baby... I am 13 weeks, no bleeding, cramping, or change, and my baby was found today with no heartbeat and the size of an 11 week old fetus... I have a D and C tomorrow, and very hurt and afraid... I was close to the end of the 1st trimester... I have a loss for words, but you are not alone.... Best wishes

I had a routine vaginal ultrasound at 10 weeks. The tech could not find a fetal heartbeat, and I was only measuring 8 weeks. My doctor started discussing D & C procedures. I wanted to hold off to do another ultrasound. I have another one scheduled for tomorrow & still have not had any symptoms of a miscarriage. I am still hoping they were wrong?

When you go in for a D&C the Dr should do an ultrasound to make sure you have miscarried. The Dr not being able to find the heartbeat is not a good sign. That doesn't necessarily mean you have miscarried. It's kinda strange if you miscarried with no bleeding or pain. You could still be pregnant and the baby may not be in a good posistion for the Dr to hear the heartbeat. Just be sure to have the ultrasound before the D&C just in case.

R.T., How did everthing turn out? I am currently having what sounds like a very similar experience. I went in for a regular ultrasound at 9 weeks and I measured only 6.5 weeks and no heartbeat. They took my HCG levels which were around 53,000 then 2 days later went down to 51,000. My dr. told me I'm having a miscarriage and could either wait and go natural or D&C. It's been 10 days and I scheduled the D&C for tomorrow, but I'm still second-guessing. I haven't had any bleeding and I'm reading on posts that some women have later found the heartbeat. Any advice R.T. or anyone else out there who has had this? Anyone who has had a D&C, do they always do one last ultrasound check before?

Dear guest, and others experiencing this. There have been cases where the baby wasn't seen in previous U/S or the heartbeat wasn't found and it took a long time to find or see the baby. There are a few sites about this, if you check the internet, some people have waited and had great experiences, others waited and their heartbreak was the same as it was earlier. Either way, the waiting will only tell and if you are really torn up then it is only possible for you to have a better outcome than the one expected or the same. My thoughts and prayers are with you, I am sorry you are going through this.

I am also going through what my doctor is calling a miscarage. I had an ultrasound done last week that said that my baby was 7 weeks 2 days and that there was no heartbeat seen. My doctor broke the news to me 5 days ago, I had another ultrasound done today and still no heartbeat seen but the baby measured 8 weeks. My doctor wants me to schedule a d & c but i am still not convinced that the ultrasound is correct? should i have hope is there any other way of being sure??? I am showing no signs of miscarage.

I too went in for my prenatal appointment, they didn't even talk to me as they did the ultrasound, then sent me to do another ultrasound at another location. And the nurse practicioner tells me there's no heartbeat. I was almost eleven weeks, the baby at 8 1/2 . Dr. and nobody has even discussed anything further with me about a follow up, I want to have hormonel levels checked since I just miscarried last November at 16 weeks. I'm so frustrated. I know how all of you feel and it's frustrating when I don't get the proper attention I should get, like checking my hormone levels and explaining more to us.
The nurse practioner was insensitive and just asked what do you want to do next? Well I think the ultrasound is capable of making my mistakes but my husband and I are already grieving again, the second time within a year. Makes me wonder if something's medically wrong with me, my mother had to have hormone shots or she would have miscarried.

I just had a vus and no hb at 6w1d, should I be worried? I measured CRL 3.7 mm and saw a fetal pole. DR having me come back in a wk. Please advise if I should be concerned.

I know that not everyone can financially do this, but I would advise each and every one of you to get at least a second or even third opinion.

They are throwing out that D&C thing too readily. If you feel you are not getting the nedical attentiona dn that the medical staff is not communication and being insensitive, then find another doctor and quick!! That is not acceptable and you are paying for those services?

One thing for certain.. I would not mess around with a life, especially and wanted and planned baby. If you have a history of misscarriages personally or in your family.. I would suggest finding a doctor that will actually work on that and take that into consideration. Even if a specialist is needed. I will never accept second rate health care.. to the guest that wrote about her terrible doctor visit.."Dr. and nobody has even discussed anything further with me about a follow up" Change doctors now.. that care is not acceptable... if they weremine I would leave and find another.. I would not even except that care at my cat''s vet!

Good luck to all of you.. I hope you all the best and my prayers are with you.

I am going thru the same thing right now. I am 10 weeks and 1 day and the US said i was 10wks 5 days. I have been experiencing mild spotting but only after intercourse. No cramping, fever, chills. The spotting is only present after intercourse. I went to ER and the ER doctor suggested a VUS and the tech found no heartbeat. I actually did both US. I am hoping and praying it was a mistake and they just could not find it. It was actually 2:30 a.m. that all of this was going on. I can't help but hope and pray the tech was just sleepy. I go to a follow up OBGYN tomorrow and I hate to have hope only to hear the bad news again...but I'm more scared to set myself up for the same disappointment. With all the questions in my head...could this be a mistake?? Could the heartbeat be there and just not able to be seen or heard w/ an US?

My heart goes out to you for I have three wonderful boys and the same has happened to me no problems with my past pregnancys and never had a miscarriage. There are no word to discribe how I feel. I found out I was having twins and in the same day they have no heart beat it is very unfair. My babies were 9 weeks and I went in for a normal ultrasound found out there was twin and no heart beat for either. I had no signs for this either no cramps bleeding none of that. I have been very emotional but as people always say they could be wrong get another opnion and then go from there .

The same thing happened to me as the last Guest posted.

I went for a normal appointment with my OB GYN after finding out i was pregnant. I was 10 weeks along and when she did the ultrasound she told me that I was pregnant with twins. I was thrilled and shocked at the same time. Then, she told me that neither of them had a heartbeat. I was devistated. I can completley understand how you feel. I had absoutley no idea that that could happen. I had never heard of it before. I got another ultrasound to make sure, and sure enough, my nightmare was real. i ended having to have a D&C, and it took a very emotional toll on me. About 3 months later I got pregnant again, and I am now 15 weeks along with one baby, and everything is looking great. While I still hurt sometimes for my other babies, I'm very excited about this one. There is hope, and everything works out when it should. It wasn't your fault, and it doesn't mean that you can never have children. While it is still very sad beyond words, it will get better. I'm very sorry for your losses. I hope I can help you cope.

I went for my first OBGYN appointment today after finding out that i was pregnant. I am 34 years old and this will be my third child. But i found out that my baby did not have a heartbeat. My dr scheduled my d&c the very next day. I canceled the appointment, I just feel uneasy about the procedure. I went to get my blood levels checked and won't find anything out until tomorrow. Trying to keep my spirits high, but my dr doesn't want me to get my hopes up.

I am too frustrated my self after 4 and 1/2 years of waiting (Male factor). Last week at 6 weeks pegnancy my fetal heart beat was seen. yesterday morning i started bleeding moderately and ran to the ER. she checked and told me that there is no heart beat and i can come back to the hospital when the bleeding is profuse.

All of a sudden yesterday morning, I had no signs of pregnancy at all, no nausea, no vomiting and no breast tenderness and i was so surprised that this could happen all of a sudden. + the bleeding stopped

Still my intention today is to go for a second opinion no that i am expecting a heart rate. but at least for the reassurance and for someone to tell me how long will this take till i get a spontaneous abortion and be posted for a D & C. I wasn't told that at all in yesterday's visit.

Does anyone know how long it takes for the spontaneous abortion to occur?