why my blood pressure is always high in the early morning hours?

Blood pressure is not static but undergoes natural variations which follow a circadian pattern. Highest levels are reached during the morning, which then decline to reach a trough value at about midnight. In the early morning, a steep increase in blood pressure occurs. It has been suggested that this morning surge in blood pressure triggers adverse cardiovascular events. Each year in the United States alone acute myocardial infarction develops in over 600,000 persons who were previously free of cardiac symptoms. A large study has revealed a marked circadian periodicity in the onset of myocardial infarction with the primary peak incidence being in the morning. At this time, myocardial
infarction is three times as likely to onset as during the night. The same periodicity was observed in the onset of stroke. Striking evidence suggests that the morning surge in blood pressure is crucial in determining the rupture of critically weakened arterial walls and subjects with a large surge in morning blood pressure have a significantly elevated risk of intracerebral hemorrhage and stroke.

Current hypertension therapy therefore aims at a full 24-hour blood pressure control.

Thank you my friend. However, you did not mention as to why the blood pressure is high in the morning and how high is high. Mine comes around 160/95. If you can get back to me I will appreciate it. Do you know of any BP medication that works around the clock and will keep my BP in the morning in the acceptable raange of say 120/80? I am only 48 years old and I am sure as I get older this problem can lead into some serious haelth issues like stroke or Cardiac arrest..

Measurement of arterial pressures are not static, but undergo natural variations from one heartbeat to another and throughout the day (in a circadian rhythm); they also change in response to stress, nutritional factors, drugs, or disease.

Your's is definately high. With 120/80 being the gold standard you are outside the pre-hypertensive envelope (140/95).

Are you measuring your own BP? If so, depending on what you are using to measure and how you are measuring (sitting, lying down, standing, etc) there can be significant variation in the measurement. As a rule, the non-medical devices that a comsumer can purchase can be somewhat unreliable.

You should take your BP measurements several times a day and record them. After a couple of weeks, examine the readings for trends. For example, are your reading consistently high in the mornings? At other time of the day? Are they lower at certain times of the day?

Most importantly, be consistent in your measurements. Do it the same way each time.

Are you currently taking any BP meds? Your doctor would be the best person to talk to about medications for high BP. I have taken several different types over the years (ACE inhibitors, calcium channel blockers, beta blockers). I am currently taking Benicar HCT which is a angiotensin II receptor antagonist with a diuretic. It works wonderfully for me and controls my BP quite well over a 24 hour period.

Please talk to your doctor. You are absolutely correct that you need to control your BP to prevent future cardiac problems.

Exceelent. I am taking my BP with OMRON. I take my BP in an upright sitting position with my feet touching the floor and the left hand cuff at the heart level.

Yes it is consistently high in the morning. In the evening it comes down to 124/73 range say around 9.30 pm. Currently I am taking in the morning DILTIAZEM, 240 mg. It is calcium channel blocker. In the night around 10 pm before going to bed I take AVAPRO, 150 mg. Any suggestions? I am definitely going to speak to my physician and mention to him about the high BP in the morning.

I'm glad to hear you are taking BP meds. And it sounds like you are doing the BP measurement exactly right. Good job.

Continue monitoring as you have been, and remember, if you have a question, be sure and ask the doctor. Some doctors arn't very good at communicating with patients so be persistent. It's your right to know what and why he's doing what he is to treat you. And always be sure to tell the doctor everything. He may seem like a god but he can't read your mind!!

Also, read everything you can about your condition and stay current on new medical technology. The internet is a wealth of knowledge. It's a great tool. Use it.

Here's to your health, shshsa. Good luck to you, girl!! :-)

than you so much. Keep in touch..