My father is diagnosed few days ago. The doctor told me he developed radiation proctitis. It was strange that he noticed rectal bleeding and fecal discharges. Also there were episodes of incontinence following radiation treatment. I want to know what causes radiation proctitis and treatment for this.

Radiation proctitis doesn’t come under the grouping of irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is a distinct pathological process caused by damage to the rectal mucosa from radiation. Usually this radiation is used for treatment of prostate or female organs. Prostate cancer or cancers of the cervix or uterus are the most common causes of radiation proctitis. Immediately after radiation treatment there is diarrhea illness due to tissue damage. This is short lived and tissue regenerates. After a full dose of radiation a significant proportion of people will develop radiation proctitis. Seems that incidence of radiation proctitis is higher at people with diabetes, peripheral vascular disease or heart disease. This condition is very difficult to treat. Laser therapy is one of therapies that coagulate the newly formed blood vessels, which are common problem in this radiation proctitis. Fiber therapy alone is not usually successful without laser therapy.

my dad 76', is doin well aft. formalin instillation for rad. proctitis that developed aft 1 year of radiation for his prostate cancer.