My mother is 55 years old and unfortunately, has to deal with breast cancer. She will be operated in a week and I have to say that I am very frightened for her. She is undergoing preoperative radiation. Doctor also suggested Actinomycin D as a form of therapy. Is addition of preoperative radiation (20Gy) and Actinomycin D to postoperative radiation more effective way for her to get better?

This medication is anti tumor antibiotic. Its main role is inhibition of RNA production in the cells (including tumor cells). It is not selective; which means it is not specific for a certain phase of cell multiplying process. Radiation also works on a system level, it is not selective either and we should expect depression of bone marrow during this treatment combination. Nausea and vomiting are also possible.