Hi! My friend has been diagnosed with cancer of neck area. His condition is very serious. We are really worried for him. Doctor recommended surgery and radiation therapy. I heard that salivary glands may be affected by this radiation therapy. What he can do to prevent this? Can somebody with experience answer on my question, please?

I know something about yours problem. My dad had surgery on his neck and after that he was going to radiation therapy. You should know that one of the possible side effects of radiation therapy is a significant and permanent lessening of normal mouth moisture. Salivary glands can be damage. Try to protect the salivary glands during the radiation.

First of all I am so sorry to hear that your friend is fighting such a terrible disease. I really hope that he will manage to get rid of that nasty cancer and that he will win that war. Since the doctor has recommended the surgery and the therapy it would be wise to wait for the results of the surgery and afterwards discuss with the doctor about the radiation therapy and possibility of damaging salivary glands.

When it comes to this I am sure that his doctor will inform him about therapy itself and possible side effects and measures of precaution which should be taken. Insist on finding out everything you want to know about this matter and keep us posted about your friend’s condition.