My brother was found a brain tumor a year ago. He had radiation therapy and after some months, he has developed brain necrosis. Can anybody explain to me how could have this happened? Thank you!

Hello there! I happen to know a little bit on this matter. Radiation necrosis or brain necrosis as you have called it is a focal structural lesion that usually occurs at the original tumor site and is a potential long-term central nervous system complication of radiotherapy or radiosurgery. It can occur from months to decades after radiation treatment Occurrence is generally related to total radiation doses and fractionation size. Tolerable total radiation dose to the brain is 6500-7000 cGy. 3-5% occurrence of radiation necrosis have those patients who have received a total dose of 5500 cGy. Fractionation daily dose exceeding 200 cGy also increases risk. There are some other predisposing factors like vasculopathic risk factors and intravenous chemotherapy.