I have occaisonal nosebleeds. They usually occur in the evening. I have noticed though that if I have a glass of red wine, I will get a nosebleed every time. Tonight I was having a glass of wine with dinner, and my nose started bleeding.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen. I told my doctor about this on my last visit, and she seemed stupified. She couldn't see any correlation, between drinking wine and my nosebleeds. %-)

If I am not mistaking nosebleeds that are occasional are known as epistaxis. The fact is that you get concerned when you have bloody nose but in most cases these are just minor problems. How long does your nose bleeding lasts? If your blood is not stopping for more than 20 minutes then you need to see a doctor immediately. I don’t see any connections with red vine and nose bleeding, but I know that alcohol can make your blood thinner and there for it would be easier for your blood to flow out of your nose. Do you pick your nose often? This can be a cause as well.

I hope that this was helpful in any way.

Nelie

I have the same problem and strangely it is always the right side of my nose. My doctor had no clue either.

I had the same thing. I never have red wine anymore since they used to cause me to have a Migraine. I had a glass or two and a sudden nose bleed this morning. That was the only thing I did differently.

I have had nosebleeds since childhood (it runs in my family) and pretty much anytime I have a glass of really dry red wine I get a nosebleed.  I agree it might be the blood thinning effect it has? Not for sure on that... lately I have been taking Ibuprofen on a regular basis for an injury (something I hardly ever do) and I had 4 major nosebleeds in the past 24 hours.  I know NSAIDS can thin the blood (this is why aspirin is used daily to prevent heart attack) so I'm thinking the red wine has the same effect maybe?   Just a thought.

I am just experiencing the same thing - red wine last night, nose bleed in the morning. I am guessing the wine must be making my nose dry. As it is, I live in a dry climate, together with alcohol my nose must be dry. My 2 cents.

I have the same problem.I am trying to figure it out as well. I have also found some of the white wines will do the same, not all tho.if I stay away from wine totally then I have no nose bleeds. Something is in the wine causing it. If anyone can help with this it would be much appreciated!

Me too, I think it may be the phosphates that are used in cheaper wines.

If you have nose bleeds for no apparent reason, please look up cureHHT. HHT is a disorder where one of the symptoms is nosebleeds. Doctors know about it but don't think to look for it.

I've had the same experience when I have a glass of wine I start feeling very hot afterwards and then I get a bloody nose.

I find that red wine causes my nosebleeds. I have been on holiday recently and drinking red wine and I have had several nosebleeds. Heavy ones. Last Thursday I had 3 or 4 during the night. Not pleasant. I also seemed to get quite drunk very quickly on very little and I wonder if it is because it gets into the blood stream easier if the blood vessels are dilated.
So I have stopped drinking much in the way of alcohol, just the occasional beer and so far so good.
When not on holiday I usually had a glass of white wine and soda with my dinner and did not have a problem.

I saw your post and when I drink red wine my nose bleeds too.did you find any reason for this

I live in Spain the land of cheap wine and have done for 15yr. Never had a nose bleed till last week, 3 in 5 days, I'm having radiotherapy for breast cancer but my Doctor says not related..???

Tell your stupefied GP to order a routine hematology and an electrophoresis to determine your levels of the different white and red blood cells and of IgM protein in your blood serum

There are rare blood disorders that have as the symptom chronic and unexplained nose bleeds. I waited until I had a nose bleed that I couldn't stop after 11 hours one night and checked into emergency on my GP's orders... If you catch these things early you will be fine. Don't let it go on. Wine just 'thins' your blood somewhat but excess IgM protein or a IgM monoclonal paraprotein means high blood viscosity which small membranes cannot handle. It can mean serious treatment. Don't fumble around with this and my advice is to be proactive; many GPs especially residents in clinics, go on symptoms and nosebleeds generally are considered not serious or indicative of a more serious disorder but they certainly can be. .Hematologists/pathologists might have another opinion after a close scrutiny of your blood serum components.

Same thing happens to me