Hello, there. My wife has been suffering from arthritis for years. I hear some people are talking about methotrexate as a potential medication for treatment. I would like to know whether this medication is good for treating my wife’s disease. What do you think? I will appreciate all your answers. Bye!

Hello, there. Methotrexate is a very potent drug. It is a cytotoxic drug which belongs to a group of antimetabolits. Methotrexate is not usually sued for treatment of osteoarthritis. It is used for rheumatoid arthritis which is auto-immune disease. This drug suppresses the immunity. It has strong side effects like nausea, liver damages; it can impact on blood cells as well. There are also lung problems that manifest with dry cough or shortness of breath. Hair loss is also noticed at some patients. If your wife suffers from osteoarthritis, there is no need for this drug.

Try a gluten-free diet. Information is available online (arthritis gluten-free). Our family member had arthritis and took medications (pain killers and Enbrel shots 2x per week) for several decades. After 2 months on a gluten-free diet, the pain disappeared, and he is completely off the medications. Just supplements with fish oil capsules. Methotrexate had given him 2 bad pneumonias requiring hospitalization. We're very unhappy with the doctors who never said a word about about trying a gluten-free diet. Several months have passed, and he's pain-free, drug-free.