Hello! I have been having problems with osteoarthritis and my doctor prescribed ibuprofen as a part of my therapy. I take ibuprofen in two separate doses of 400 mg a day and it helps me. My symptoms are relieved and I feel much better. I talked to my sister about my therapy and she thinks that taking 800mg of ibuprofen a day is too much. She is afraid of possible gastrointestinal complications.

Hi! Ibuprofen is indicated in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Actually, patients with rheumatoid arthritis require higher doses of ibuprofen tablets than patients with osteoarthritis. I don't think the dose of 800 mg is too much on your case. Of course, the dose should be tailored to each patient, depending on the severity of symptoms and patient's respond. It is important not to exceed 1200mg total daily dose and if any gastrointestinal complaints occur talk to your doctor.